Windows Live OneCare for Server RRS feed

Answers

• Thanks for that link. This is the first I've heard about it, but it wouldn't surprise me as there is a gap between the current Windows Live OneCare for the PC and Forefront Security for the Enterprise. Given that the concept of the Hub and clients is based on communications at the peer level and that any PC in the Circle can be a hub, it would stand to reason that it wouldn't be too hard to scale that to a "hub" that lives on the Server and can manage the client installations in exactly the same way.

I found this page, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/essential/products.mspx, to be a bit lacking in real information although the security shield resides in each part of the graphic.  "Second half of 2008" for the suite.

Another thing that makes it plausible is that Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 share the same code branch now for the OS, meaning that the differences are going to be the added features and functionality of the Server implementation, but the core OS is the same - hence no good reason for the OneCare engine not to run on that platform.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:03 PM

All replies

• Thanks for that link. This is the first I've heard about it, but it wouldn't surprise me as there is a gap between the current Windows Live OneCare for the PC and Forefront Security for the Enterprise. Given that the concept of the Hub and clients is based on communications at the peer level and that any PC in the Circle can be a hub, it would stand to reason that it wouldn't be too hard to scale that to a "hub" that lives on the Server and can manage the client installations in exactly the same way.

I found this page, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/essential/products.mspx, to be a bit lacking in real information although the security shield resides in each part of the graphic.  "Second half of 2008" for the suite.

Another thing that makes it plausible is that Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 share the same code branch now for the OS, meaning that the differences are going to be the added features and functionality of the Server implementation, but the core OS is the same - hence no good reason for the OneCare engine not to run on that platform.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:03 PM
  • This just appeared with a few more details: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/coming_soon_windows_live_onecare_for_server.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

It's not clear from that discussion, though, whether the server will provide any workstation monitoring. Hmm . . .

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:19 PM
  • It would appear that the intent is to provide OneCare as a security package running on the server. As I said, since Vista SP1 and Server 2008 are based on the same code, it would seem reasonable that OneCare can run on Server 2008 just like it runs on the PC running Vista today.

So, extend the hub concept and at the very least we can make the server be the hub in a Circle. Of course, if we can't have more than 3 PCs on a license, we gain nothing, but the concept of having the ability to buy more licenses to *add* to the base 3 PC subscription was mentioned by the OneCare team during the 2.0 beta. It hasn't happened yet, nor do I know the status. However, this announcement might fit with the next version of OneCare having the ability to add licenses, too. One can hope. :-)

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:55 AM