Net Adapter Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Having difficulty getting my box to recognize my network adapter (Broadcom NetXtreme FE) on my Asus P4PE board under WHS.  Worked fine under XP, but after installing WHS, none of the Asus provided drivers get the thing going. 

I've tried the XP, 2000, and NT versions with no luck. 

Anyone have ideas?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:19 AM

All replies

• Have you tried a different network card, to rule out a problem with the on-board NIC? Have you tried connecting a different computer, with a known good NIC, to rule out a bad cable or port on the switch?

I don't see any Windows Server 2003 drivers for your motherboard; it's also possible that the NIC just isn't compatible.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Unfortunately I don't have another NIC handy.  This machine was an XP box and was running on the network when I formatted the drives using the WHS install CD.  I had my RAID and other drivers on a flash drive, and the only one that didnt take was the network adapter.  It shows up in device manager as a "?" device, and when I install what would seem to be appropriate drivers, I get the "this device may not work properly" message and a "!" icon in device manager. 

So it's true then that Server03 drivers tend to work best or WHS?  I wasn't sure if NT/2000 or XP drivers would work...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:59 PM
  • You can try installing the XP drivers by running the installer in compatibility mode for XP. There are no guarantees that it will work however. And yes, the Windows Server 2003 drivers are preferable, as Windows Home Server is built on a version of that operating system.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:38 PM
  • You could also try the Broadcom site for server 2003 drivers. They appear to have server drivers for most everything they sell.

Colin

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:43 PM