Problem setting up remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up Remote Access using the Windows Home Server Settings dialog. When I select "Turn On" to set web sites off I loose connection with the Home Server. I have also tried to login on the server console with the Administrator account. When I press Turn On here the Windows Home Server Console crashes.

What is wrong?

/Jan

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• From Pages 21 and 22 of the Release Documentation that is downloadable from Connect. 

Submitting Feedback

In order for us to gather feedback on the issues you encounter while using the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta, it is important that the feedback is sent to the right place. 

Please submit all bug reports for this release using the following bug reporting form on MS Connect, via the http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer web site.

WHS Power Pack 1 Public Beta Bug Report Form

Please make sure that your bug reports are filed using Connect.  This is the only way that the Home Server team can track and subsequently fix any issues that you bring up.

Every submitted bug report should include accompanying CAB numbers so that the Home Server team can look at the logs and try to help resolve the issue.  Depending on whether you are experiencing an issue related to your home server, your home computer, or both, you need to submit the logs and the CAB numbers for your home server, your home computer, or both.  If you are unsure of the root cause of the issue, please include the logs and the CAB numbers for both your home server and your home computer when submitting a bug report.

In order to obtain a CAB number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

Windows Home Server Toolkit installation

1.       From any home computer, download the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE10C0E9-2D46-4770-91FE-6B84AE06F960&displaylang=en.

2.       Run WHSToolkit.msi to install the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” on your home computer.

3.       Click on Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt to open up a command prompt.

4.       Type the following command (including the quotation marks) and press ENTER.  This will launch the Connector Troubleshooter tool

·         "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe" -a

5.       From the “Server” menu on the Connector Troubleshooter, select “Publish Server add-in”.  This will start the “Environment” dialog box.

6.       Close the Connector Troubleshooter tool.

7.       Type your Windows Home Server password.

8.       Open your Windows Home Server Console, go to Setting->Add-ins, and click the Available tab.

9.       You should see the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” in the list of available add-ins, select it and click Install to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on your Home Server.

10.    Restart the Windows Home Server Console – A Toolkit page is now available under Settings.

How to get the CAB number on your home server

1.     Open the Windows Home Server Console

2.       Go to Settings->Toolkit->Support tab, and click the Send->Collect and Send to upload the logs for your home server to Microsoft.

3.       Write down the CAB number and include the CAB number in your Connect bug report

How to get the CAB number on your home computer

1.       On your home computer, go to Start Menu->All Programs->Windows Home Server Toolkit->Error Reporting

2.       Type y to send the home computer’s log files to Microsoft

3.       Write down the CAB number and include the CAB number in your Connect bug report

4.       Press ENTER to quit

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Thanks for all your help and a great operating system.

I have now filed a bug report and rebuild my WHS from scratch. Everything including Remote Access is now working great.

Looking forward to the final PP1. Please advice ETA.

/Jan

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:57 AM

All replies

• Jan,

Have you tried un-installing the Connector software and re-installing. Also,how are your Server/Clients connected, ie, what is your router. It's possible that you have a mis-setup router, where it's connecting your server directly to the Internet, when you try the Remote Access setting. If you open a DOS box, and type 'ipconfig /all', what does it say.

Colin

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Hi Colin, thanks for quick reply.

I have just upgraded to PowerPackRC1 and the Connector was uninstalled and reinstalled in that process. The following is a listing of my nettwork configuration:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : stargate
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : solhogda

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : solhogda
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network
    tion
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-5C-AB-60
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.197
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11. juni 2008 19:20:55
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12. juni 2008 19:20:55

There is a D-Link router between the ADSL modem and my server/clients. The D-Link is set up with DNS and DHCP. The modem has also a built in router, but I only use it as a broadband modem. There is also a switch connected to the D-Link for connecting a couple of NAS disks, but the server and clients are all wired to the D-Link directly.

I'm just trying to turn on web cervices on the server and I can't see why this crashing the server console?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  Jan Nøtland wrote:

Hi Colin, thanks for quick reply.

I have just upgraded to PowerPackRC1 and the Connector was uninstalled and reinstalled in that process. The following is a listing of my nettwork configuration:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : stargate
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : solhogda

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : solhogda
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network
    tion
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-5C-AB-60
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.197
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11. juni 2008 19:20:55
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12. juni 2008 19:20:55

There is a D-Link router between the ADSL modem and my server/clients. The D-Link is set up with DNS and DHCP. The modem has also a built in router, but I only use it as a broadband modem. There is also a switch connected to the D-Link for connecting a couple of NAS disks, but the server and clients are all wired to the D-Link directly.

I'm just trying to turn on web cervices on the server and I can't see why this crashing the server console?

Everything else works fine (file shares, backups, etc)?  Did you try accessing the WHS console from different client PCs?

It may be a bug with PP1 beta.  Did you try setting up Remote Access before installing PP1?  If not, you might want to try uninstalling PP1 from WHS, reboot the server, then see if you are able to set up Remote Access afterwards.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Please;

1. Have a look at the eventlogs of your WHS (logon to your WHS using RDP, do Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and Hit Enter) around the time the console crashes.

2. Have a look at the most recent Homeserverconsole log immediatley after the console crashes (logs are in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on your WHS. Also other logs modified at the time of the crash may be of interest.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:31 AM
  • (Since this appears to be a PP1 issue, I've moved it to that forum)

Please submit a bug report on Connect, with talq logs from your server and client(s).
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Everything else is working on my WHS. I just can't turn on Web Sites...

Here is the content of the Application Event Log when the console crashes:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4846c089, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4846c02a, P7 32a, P8 1c, P9 pszqoadhx1u5zahbhohghldgiy4qixhx, P10 NIL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here is the content of HomeServer console log at the time of crash:

Created at 12.06.2008 17:41:13
    ***** Started at 12.06.2008 17:41:13 ***
    ***** Started at 12.06.2008 17:41:13 ***
    [1]080612.174113.6562: UI: Error: Killing previous console instance: ID=6032
    [1]080612.174119.5156: Error: Client 41d6c1ab-7ba2-4478-9362-86f67a65d288 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5156: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 41d6c1ab-7ba2-4478-9362-86f67a65d288
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client da2acc0d-4c23-4088-b986-bd6d08782a64 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: da2acc0d-4c23-4088-b986-bd6d08782a64
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client 612c53e5-8bee-4d0b-8dc7-9b526b6ba88d not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 612c53e5-8bee-4d0b-8dc7-9b526b6ba88d
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client 75322883-07fd-4e6c-9af9-541695d2ccfb not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 75322883-07fd-4e6c-9af9-541695d2ccfb
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client cae20c24-d7f0-4e2a-a2e3-ef08709ffb54 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]080612.174119.5312: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: cae20c24-d7f0-4e2a-a2e3-ef08709ffb54
    [9]080612.174122.2968: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [9]080612.174122.2968: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]080612.174122.3125: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [10]080612.174125.2968: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [10]080612.174125.2968: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080612.174125.9531: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]080612.174125.9531: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]080612.174130.3281: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [9]080612.174132.2968: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [18]080612.174138.8125: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706D9): There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D9)
       at Windows.HomeServer.Common.FirewallHelper.Native.INetFwPolicy.get_CurrentProfile()
       at Windows.HomeServer.Common.FirewallHelper.FirewallHelper.AddPortAutheorization(Int32 portNumber, NET_FW_IP_PROTOCOL_ ipProtocal, NET_FW_SCOPE_ scope, String friendlyName)
       at Windows.HomeServer.Common.FirewallHelper.FirewallHelper.SetHttpFirewall(Boolean enabled)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.Utilities.RemoteAccessConfig.Enable()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.WebsiteSettingsControl.<>c__DisplayClass2.<websiteConnectivityButton_Click>b__0()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
    Sender: Name:HomeServerConsole.exe
    There are no context policies.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:52 PM
  • This problem was there before I installed PP1. I only installed the PP1 RC to see if that would fix the problem.

/Jan

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Please file a bug and include the logs from your server.  instructions are in the Release Documentation

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:12 PM
  •  Jan Nøtland wrote:

This problem was there before I installed PP1. I only installed the PP1 RC to see if that would fix the problem.

/Jan

From the log I suspect there will be more then one problem. Please do as Todd Headrick suggest (file a bug report) and then try a server reinstall. It will take a few hours but most likely fix your problem. Before you do a server reinstall please backup your the files you really can't afford to lose. Normally server reinstall preserves data, however better safe then sorry
    Friday, June 13, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Can't find any info in the Release Documentation regarding submitting bug reports. Please point me in the right direction before I rebuild my WHS and the logs are lost!

Thanks /Jan

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:25 PM
  • From Pages 21 and 22 of the Release Documentation that is downloadable from Connect. 

Submitting Feedback

In order for us to gather feedback on the issues you encounter while using the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta, it is important that the feedback is sent to the right place. 

Please submit all bug reports for this release using the following bug reporting form on MS Connect, via the http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer web site.

WHS Power Pack 1 Public Beta Bug Report Form

Please make sure that your bug reports are filed using Connect.  This is the only way that the Home Server team can track and subsequently fix any issues that you bring up.

Every submitted bug report should include accompanying CAB numbers so that the Home Server team can look at the logs and try to help resolve the issue.  Depending on whether you are experiencing an issue related to your home server, your home computer, or both, you need to submit the logs and the CAB numbers for your home server, your home computer, or both.  If you are unsure of the root cause of the issue, please include the logs and the CAB numbers for both your home server and your home computer when submitting a bug report.

In order to obtain a CAB number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

Windows Home Server Toolkit installation

1.       From any home computer, download the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE10C0E9-2D46-4770-91FE-6B84AE06F960&displaylang=en.

2.       Run WHSToolkit.msi to install the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” on your home computer.

3.       Click on Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt to open up a command prompt.

4.       Type the following command (including the quotation marks) and press ENTER.  This will launch the Connector Troubleshooter tool

·         "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe" -a

5.       From the “Server” menu on the Connector Troubleshooter, select “Publish Server add-in”.  This will start the “Environment” dialog box.

6.       Close the Connector Troubleshooter tool.

7.       Type your Windows Home Server password.

8.       Open your Windows Home Server Console, go to Setting->Add-ins, and click the Available tab.

9.       You should see the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” in the list of available add-ins, select it and click Install to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on your Home Server.

10.    Restart the Windows Home Server Console – A Toolkit page is now available under Settings.

How to get the CAB number on your home server

1.     Open the Windows Home Server Console

2.       Go to Settings->Toolkit->Support tab, and click the Send->Collect and Send to upload the logs for your home server to Microsoft.

How to get the CAB number on your home computer

1.       On your home computer, go to Start Menu->All Programs->Windows Home Server Toolkit->Error Reporting

2.       Type y to send the home computer’s log files to Microsoft

4.       Press ENTER to quit

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Thanks for all your help and a great operating system.

I have now filed a bug report and rebuild my WHS from scratch. Everything including Remote Access is now working great.

Looking forward to the final PP1. Please advice ETA.

/Jan

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:57 AM