Running OCS Front End without Edge RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

we have managed to deploy OCS 2007 R2 Front-End in consolidated mode over windows 2008 server, actually this is the first phase, the scond phase will be deploying Edge server, till that time we need to run live meeting for our users from out side the company.
    I had published the OCS in the external DNS and open the ports 443 and 5061 on the firewall, but once any user try to start live meeting from out side the company with a user in side the company , it ask for a user name and password then open, and disconnect repeatedly!!
    from inside the company it works fine.

does it need more ports to be open or does it need a high bandwidth for user out side the company?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this blog article for more insight into the bits required for Live Meeting: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=67

At minimum you'll need to open TCP 8057 so that the Live MEeting client can download/upload shared meeting content over PSOM.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for having nice explaination in your blog article. Can I request some suggestions for my case please

I am planning (currently having some difficulties http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/4bb7d816-1964-4c48-aa01-d53ba9a6e75e) to install Standard edition of OCS R2 on Windows 2003 SP2 (64 bit) server.  

1. What steps I have to take to have Live Meeting Service for Interenal users firstly and for extranal user subciquently? I will be glad if you give a diagram of IP addresses and FQDN's exaple like you have given in your article
    2. If necessary and benificial, I can Install CWA server as well.

What steps I have take during the Standard Edition installation? Will it be a right choice if I use External Web Farm FQDN name as Meeting.xx.org.au?
    My Internal SIP Domain is not XX.org.au but it is XX.qum. Will it create any problem?

I have tow drives letters in my Server where I am installing OCS C and D

Is it right thing to do if I select Database and File location like?

Database File Location

Database: D:\RCTData\

Transaction Log Locations

D:\RTC Shared Log\

RTCDYN Log: D:\RTC Dynamic Log\

RTC Log: C:\RTC Log

Many thanks.

Monday, June 15, 2009 12:59 AM
  • The Internal Web Farm FQDN on a Standard Edition server will be the exact FQDN of the server itself (which matches the certificate's Subject Name.  The External Web Farm FQDN can be anything you want, but must be published as an external DNS record and used by your Reverse HTTPS Proxy and should be in the same domain as your SIP domain.

You also can install the databases on any drive; if C: and D: are two separate physical devices then it would be beneficial to locate the database and log files on different drive letters as your example shows, but if C: and D; are simply partitions on the same physical drive there there is really no benefit to separating them
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by mkhan100 Monday, June 15, 2009 10:06 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Thank you
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Thanks very much for your reply. 
    My drives are physically separated in my case, which is a good news for me and I will continue as I have given example.

Sorry, this is very desperate request to you. I am having some unexpected trouble with my Standard edition installation at this moment. I am having the following types of errors, which I post on a separate forum on ( http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/4bb7d816-1964-4c48-aa01-d53ba9a6e75e ).

Errors:
    1. Activate Standard Edition server Fail: Failure [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information
      2. Failure [0x80070421] The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

Please help.
    Is there any way I can contact with you directly please?

Thank you.

• Edited by mkhan100 Monday, June 15, 2009 10:37 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:36 PM