Installation on server class system RRS feed

• Question

• I am tring to install WHS on a server, Dell Poweredge 2850 w/dual 2.8ghz cpu 2gb ram perc raid susbsystem, The installation fails after loading the raid drivers. I have not tried installing on standard SCSI drives.

I thought the base of WHS was 2008 server...

Angelo => Chief Rocket Scientist
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

• The base of WHS v1 is Server 2003.  The base of WHS v2 (Vail) is Server 2008R2.  Vail will only support single socket cpu, multiple cores, but only one socket.  WHS v1 does not support raid, it may work, but is not supported by MS.  Which WHS are you trying to install?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I am tring to install WHS on a server, Dell Poweredge 2850 w/dual 2.8ghz cpu 2gb ram perc raid susbsystem, The installation fails after loading the raid drivers. I have not tried installing on standard SCSI drives.

I thought the base of WHS was 2008 server...

BullDawg
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Well, then why is it not installing on a single proc AMD Phenom II quad. This system was running Windows 7 x64 - but every time I try to install it stops at the same spot when setup begins installing.

Maybe I have a bad download. It did take a very long time...  I'll try downloading again...

Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:23 AM
  • I know that it can work as I had previously installed WHS on a dell poweredge 2900 with a perc 5/i.  HoweverI am in the process of a reinstall and the machine gets stuck at the blue text based phase of the install (Windows Install Dos appearing screen).  I wonder if the reason I am having trouble is that dells website has an updated driver for the raid compared to what I originally used.  Where does yours get stuck?
    Friday, February 18, 2011 1:32 AM