WHS2011 - "No internet access" message (LAN side fine) RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if anyone can assist with an issue I am having connecting to the internet (inbound/outbound) on my windows home server.

Scenarios thus

Server is a home built HP Microserver that has been running successfully with, until recently no issues connecting to the server externally or internally. Anti Virus program is Microsoft Forefront security

Gateway is a Draytek Vigor 2130 router (lastest firmware v1.4.1) connected to a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL modem.

Subnet is 192.168.1.1/24

Draytek router acts as a DHCP server for network - default gateway is 192.168.1.254

DHCP scope is configured as 192.168.1.2 ->10. Majority of clients are configured with static ip addresses (dhcp left for approved wireless visitors)

Clients on the network are all running Windows 7 Ultimate (various x32 & x64)and CAN connect to the internet fine.

I CAN connect successfully to the home server (192.168.1.11) from clients within the local LAN (this by RDP).

I CAN ping all the clients ip's on my home network from the diagnostic tools build into my Vigor 2130 router but NOT my home server. Clients can ping vigor router okay and I can connect to router on its WAN side externally.

Home server CANNOT ping DG 192.168.1.254

DNS is working successfully on my network (192.168.1.254 setup as DNS server) as client computers can happily browse web etc, however I cannot resolve names (nslookup) from my windows home server desktop (I guess not a surprise given I cannot even ping the DG).

Network on my home server is configured as a home network. Pictorial diagram is showing "no internet access" and running the network diagnostics tool advises that "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues" which given the above patently it is not!

When this same problem occurred last week I eventually overcame it by changing the LAN side IP address of my 2130 router (from 192.168.1.1 ->254) and all was immediately sweetness and light (well apart from having to reconfigure default gateway and dns setting on all static clients!)

I suspect that the issue is connected with how network is being recognised by the home server operating system and thereby configuring the microsoft firewall to block access on the internet side.

I am not sure but I think this issue may have occurred when I rebooted the router and the dhcp server temporarily dropped off the network. Have tried rebooting router again and also homeserver but this has not resolved the problem.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might resolve this on going problem or point me in the direction of a Microsoft white paper that describes the logic of how this supposed protective mechanism works.

Kind regards

Alan

• Edited by Farrina1 Friday, November 4, 2011 10:06 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• I CAN connect successfully to the home server (192.168.1.11) from clients within the local LAN (this by RDP).

I CAN ping all the clients ip's on my home network from the diagnostic tools build into my Vigor 2130 router but NOT my home server

If you can connect to server then you should be abel to ping. To my knowledge the two go hand and hand and you cannot have one with out the other.

Monday, November 7, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hello - thanks for your response and yes its bizzare .....

The problem is that I cannot ping either way between the gateway router (192.168.1.254) and the home server (192.168.1.11). That excepted it is possible for the gateway to ping any other IP's on the LAN and likewise the home server can ping anything on the LAN except the gateway IP.

By chance I disabled the DHCP service running on the gateway and this seems (at least for now) to have resolve the situation.

Reading around on the web I found this little nugget http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles.aspx 

I suspect it is something to do with this service and how it identifies what type of network that it thinks you are on.

Fingers crossed that the error does not come back.

Kind regards

Alan

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:44 AM