Can't install connector on anything! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Everything was working wihout a hitch until the other day when I decided to try to remove a drive via the remove drive from the storage wizard. It ran forever and eventually I had to give up on it. No big deal or at least so I thought. I tried to upgrade my connector on my XP machine that was running the GA version and it can't get past the backup portion in the wizard. I followed the advice outlined in the FAQ post and increased the VRAM to 3000 MB on the Home server and rebooted it. Still doesn't work. I have multiple machines XP and Windows 2003 that can't install the connector. Also if I try to launch the connector via RDP on the home server itself there are entries stating that the HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll is blocking the connector from launching. All installs were initiated via the http://homeserver:55000 link.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Please submit a bug on Connect. Don't forget to include talq logs from both the client and the server.

Once you've done that, you might want to retry the drive removal process.

You won't be able to install the connector on the server, by the way It will refuse to install, as you've already seen.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:21 PM
  •  

I am not able to access the WHS console at this point. I have tried uninstalling the PP1 bits and reverting back to the GA bits on both the WHS and the client machines. I can't get the client installed because it keeps saying the backup service isn't running on the WHS. I did a remote desktop to the WHS and the service is running and the event logs are clean, etc. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get past this on the connector install? How can I get logs and or a CAB dump without having access to the WHS console?

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Did you try RDP-ing to the server desktop and starting the Console from there?

If you did not do so allready, install the Windows Home Server Toolkit
    After installing it on your Home Computer:

1. Click Start Menu, All Programs, Windows Home Server Toolkit, and then click Error Reporting.
    2. In the Error Reporting Command Prompt, type Y to send the Home Computer’s log files to Microsoft.
      Write down the CAB number and include the CAB number in your Connect bug report)
    3. Press ENTER to quit

Theo.

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:33 PM
  •  

I can RDP to my WHS but can't launch the console using the provided shortcut. It informs me of several .dll(s) that are blocking it from running. A check in task manager shows it consuming a bunch of memory with no GUI visible and CPU on the rise. Is there an easy way to reset the SYS partition without waxing my files on the DATA partition?

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:31 PM
  •  Chris Condrey wrote:
    I can RDP to my WHS but can't launch the console using the provided shortcut. It informs me of several .dll(s) that are blocking it from running. A check in task manager shows it consuming a bunch of memory with no GUI visible and CPU on the rise. Is there an easy way to reset the SYS partition without waxing my files on the DATA partition?

Yes, boot from the DVD and perform a Server Reinstallation.  You lose your created users, add-ins, and OS customizations, but the data is left in tact.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:40 AM
  •  

From what I can tell once you go to PP1 your data can't be preserved during the WHS restore process. I ran the system restore from the server CD and selected the first option (preserve data). When the process completed ALL of my files were gone. The entire hard drive for that matter had been wiped clean. I am running beta software so I can't get mad but just an FYI to those of you that are considering this as an option. My WHS got so screwed up that I had no other choice but to start over as I couldn't even access it with the console. I would suggest that you xcopy your files to an external drive that isn't configured for use with WHS before doing a server restore. I had all of my files backed up on various external hard drives so I now have a clean WHS running PP1.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Chris,

Is this a home built box or a box from HP, Fujitsu or some other partner?

I know you don't have the logs - butcan you file a bug that details the steps you took so the team can try to Reproduce your experience?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:05 AM
  • HP EX470 - No modifications with factory defaults.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:24 PM
  • Chris - did you use the HP DVD to try to recover your server or did you burn the PP1 RC4 Server Installation DVD?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Great question...

In hindsight I have no idea why I didn't think of this BEFORE I opted to do a restore due to all the problems I encoutered. I used the on from HP that came with my EX470.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:02 PM
  • I am just trying to understand the steps you took to see if I can write a bug with the repro steps so that the home server team can understand your scenario and try to repro what happened to you.

1.  HP MediaSmart Server EX470, no add-ins installed  - any HP updates installed?  how many hard drives?

2.  Load Power Pack 1 RC4 update package to Windows Home Server

3.  Connector problems ...

4.  use HP DVD to reset the HP EX470 - Did you select "Server Recovery" or "Factory Reset" option??

5.  Result:  All Shared Folder data and Home Computer Backups no longer exist

This is how it should work --> If you selected "Factory Reset" - it wipes your data - if you selected "Server Recovery" it will wipe the operating system partition and reinstall an image of the Windows Home Server operationg system as configured by HP to the C: drive of your home server.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:07 PM