VALIDATION ISSUES XP/2 - ONE YEAR AFTER THE FACT -VLK ISSUES RRS feed

• Question

• !. Am I to understand that - had the "holder" of the license on my counterfeit copy not ended use of that key - that I would not be receiving a validation/genuine alert ?

2. MSN offers a FOC validation kit for counterfeit copies of XP of exceptional qualtity - mine fits that category - to whom do I speak to discuss this offer - when calling the number at the bottom of the page - those who answer know nothing and gave me a email mswga@msn.com which goes nowhere ....

3. I have jumped through all the hoops on the GA page - submitted pictures, checked and double checked rechecked and tried the utility to change my key - is this offer for real?? If not why post it.

4. The retailer - in this case Amazon - offers nothing either ... saying their guarantee is good for only 30 days after purchase -

5. This is a authentic copy by any standard - packaging, tags, numbers, colors. holograms - all of it - yet not valid ...

Thanks

Roger P.

Friday, February 1, 2008 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hello tigere,

When you say you purchased this from Amazon, did you purchased a used copy from a user or from their auction site?  The product key used to install this operating system is not only a VLK key but also geographically blocked (which can only be used in certain parts of the world).

I would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information if possible: 

- Your product key for (Office or Windows)

Please post the last 15 alpha/numeric characters of your product key

-  Business location where purchased

-  Business Address where purchased

-  Phone number where purchased

-  Point of Contact @ the Business (if you had any)

-  If purchased on the internet please provide the website

-  What alias was the individual using online?

Usually this is prevalent with people who are selling software on auctions sites

-  Provide us with your email address, telephone number and/or Cell number so we can reach you and provide you with   an update.

-  Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

Please provide the detailed information for the location.

-  Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop?

-- Please provide all the details.

-  Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

- Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs if so please provide detailed information as above? 

If so please provide location details including webpage.

Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after any changes you may have made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  I will work with you and provide this information you provide to my supervisor.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Roger,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a reply to this thread:

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 1, 2008 10:59 PM
    • 1. This copy was purchased from Amazon. com 12/26/2006
    • 2. This copy was bought as retail for one computer XP-PRO/S2
    • 3. This copy came in a sealed box w/ authorized "key"
    • 4. A folder inside the box contains the product key - to which they refer.
    • 5. Under examination this copy is genuine - all holograms appear.
    • 6. I recently installed a new graphics card - Quadro FX 370
    • 7. The product key on my computer I used(from the folder) to activate my copy is not the # on my computer !!??

TIGERE

About Your Copy of Windows

Product Key Comparison Details

The table below shows the differences between the product key you entered and the product key currently in use with your

copy of Windows XP. Items marked as "Other" may not necessarily imply a non-genuine Microsoft product.

Recommendations

The Validation Advisor takes results from your previous input to make the following specialized recommendations to help you

get genuine Windows. Or you can see all options.

Expand All | Collapse All

Problem

Type:

Non-Genuine Windows XP Product Keys Purchase

Description: The product key on your computer is not for single-consumer use. Based on your input, we have

determined that the product key you purchased is a Volume License Key (VLK) that is not designed for

home use. Volume License Keys are typically licensed to an organization, such as a business or educational

institution, that wants to use multiple copies of Windows.

You or your organization may be a victim of software counterfeiting if:

You received a computer with a VLK, but you do not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft,

or

Your organization purchased a VLK from a 3rd party but does not have a Volume License Agreement

with Microsoft.

If you do have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, you believe you are using the appropriate VLK

assigned to your organization, and your VLK has not been reported as stolen or lost, contact your system

administrator, Large Account Reseller (LAR), or Enterprise Software Advisor (ESA) to report the problem.

Otherwise, learn how Microsoft can help you get genuine below.

The product key you entered: The product key found on your PC: Match:

Product Key: H6JG4-DK8WR-66B3C-8JXGM-YVBWY *****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY No

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Windows XP Professional Yes

License Type: Volume Volume Yes

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Tigere,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA or on the yellow-orange label of the CD holder.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:33 PM
  • 1. XP PRO/S2

2. NO - OEM does not appear

3.No .... I assembled this computer

See previous message .....

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23496
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {23D4660D-6C55-4D42-AD84-F5FBAA411327}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{23D4660D-6C55-4D42-AD84-F5FBAA411327}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23496</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1614895754-261903793-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0701</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070102000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2CD93ECF0184C068</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>1C433F95ED68076</Val><Hash>VxBCrKDdnIGtZRkGlyRQP6a/Q9g=</Hash><Pid>70141-059-4668765-56184</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Hello tigere,

When you say you purchased this from Amazon, did you purchased a used copy from a user or from their auction site?  The product key used to install this operating system is not only a VLK key but also geographically blocked (which can only be used in certain parts of the world).

I would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information if possible: 

- Your product key for (Office or Windows)

Please post the last 15 alpha/numeric characters of your product key

-  Business location where purchased

-  Business Address where purchased

-  Phone number where purchased

-  Point of Contact @ the Business (if you had any)

-  If purchased on the internet please provide the website

-  What alias was the individual using online?

Usually this is prevalent with people who are selling software on auctions sites

-  Provide us with your email address, telephone number and/or Cell number so we can reach you and provide you with   an update.

-  Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

Please provide the detailed information for the location.

-  Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop?

-- Please provide all the details.

-  Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

- Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs if so please provide detailed information as above? 

If so please provide location details including webpage.

Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after any changes you may have made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  I will work with you and provide this information you provide to my supervisor.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Tigere,

Try the Product Key Updater Utility available here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

It will attempt to "genuine-ize" the current nongenuine Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro and convert it to a Genuine Retail license of XP Pro.  It will have you input the Genuine Product Key that is printed on the yellow-orange label that is affixed to the CD holder folder that came in your retail package of XP purchased from Amazon.  The less "hacked and cracked" your current nongenuine installation of XP Pro, the greater the chance that the Updater will be successful.

The PK updater has to verify about 6,000 files so it will need unfettered access to the Microsoft servers, so be sure your antivirus, firewall or other  protective programs are configured to allow it full access to the internet.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you.

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Turned off everything but the power - updater replies -" invalid number"  - when I use the number off the packet :

***** - ***** - 66B3J - 8JXGM - YVBWY  .....

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

Confirmation number: 1057755005

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID

Validation Code: 13

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY

Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=

Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23496

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {23D4660D-6C55-4D42-AD84-F5FBAA411327}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 13

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.18.7

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{23D4660D-6C55-4D42-AD84-F5FBAA411327}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23496</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1614895754-261903793-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0701</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070102000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2CD93ECF0184C068</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>             <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>1C433F95ED68076</Val><Hash>VxBCrKDdnIGtZRkGlyRQP6a/Q9g=</Hash><Pid>70141-059-4668765-56184</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Tigere,

What "packet" are you refering to?

I am assuming you purchased a retail license for XP from Amazon.  Did you purchase directly from Amazon or was it someone selling on Amazon auctions, or another retailer selling thru Amazon?

Please confirm the product purchased from Amazon came in a pretty, shiny, 8" x 10" (approx) retail box that you would see on store shelves.

Next please look at the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that would be affixed to the boxtop of such a retail package.  Please post what product is described on the CoA. 

Next, please put the XP CD into the computer, and then navigate to the \i386 folder of the CD.  Please locate the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder.  This is a small text file tha has two sections.  Please post the second section (it's only two lines, and is not sensitive information).

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:33 PM
  • 1. I bought the retail version via Amazon ...

2. A book sized blue box - with a orange/blue folder with the key on the back page and 2 booklets and the CD inside.

3. Windows XP Professional Engllish Intl CD/SP2

4.  [Pid]
        ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
        Pid=55274270

I have copies of receipts, pictures of the box and packet and cd - just don't know how to upload ....
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:35 AM
  • Hello tigere,

I really appreciate you taking the time to submit this service incident.  For us to be able to fully help you to resolve the issue I am going to ask that you add to your service incident the FULL product key along with the other details requested in my previous post so we may work on a resolution to this problem.  Again please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Matt - second report submitted -

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Tigere,

Does your CD have "For distribution only with a new PC" on the hologram at the upper left?

Does your CD have green silk screen coloring from the 11o'clock position to the 3o'clock position?  It would look like the one on this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en  then click on the Volume License Upgrade button, then look under the first heading, "Volume Licensing Media with an Edge-to-Edge Hologram"?

Please have a VERY, VERY close look at the CD.  Is the hologram embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin labed affixed to the top surface?  Is the inner mirror band encircling the center hole embedded within the plastic of the CD or is it a label affixed to the surface of the CD?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:14 AM
  • "For distribution ....new PC" - upper left quadrant - NO

Green - 11:00 to 3:00                                          NO

Hologram(s)                                                       Embedded

Innner Band                                                       Embedded

This copy has ALL the characteristics of the "Retail" sample .....

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Hello tigere,

If you submitted a new service request can you please provide me with the confirmation number of that request?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:02 PM
  •  Matt Prall MS wrote:

Hello tigere,

If you submitted a new service request can you please provide me with the confirmation number of that request?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Matt I did not submit a "new" but put the reference # on it with your name as reference .....

Tigere

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Tigere,

Is this an upgrade CD or a full product CD?

It is VERY curious that your CD would have the Pid=55274270 entry in the setupp.ini file.  It is my understanding that the last three characters of this number indicate the type of license the "bits" on the CD are.  The number "270" and the numbers "640" thru "649" are, as I understand the situation, indicative of Volume Licensing bits.  An OEM CD would have the characters "OEM" as the last three in the PID= value, and retail CDs would have just about any three digit number other than one in the two hundreds or the six hundreds.

I have read that the very good counterfeit CDs have Volume Licensing bits (meaning their PID= numbers would be 270 or 640-649) and hologram labels affixed to the surface of the CD that are made to pass for either OEM or retail.  I have also read that the best counterfeits may even use the embedded hologram.

Are you in a position where you can use the CD and the PK that came with the retail package to insall XP onto a spare computer and then try to activate it and then validate it?  I suspect that it won't validate.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Dan IT Assoc. "Are you in a position where you can use the CD and the PK that came with the retail package to insall XP onto a spare computer and then try to activate it and then validate it?  I suspect that it won't validate."

This is supposed to be a full retail copy .....

Unfortunately not - though I would love to try - (re: load on another machine)

The interesting thing for me is the fact that the product key that I got with the package (the yellow label/balck lettering) is not what is on the computer - I ran a key finder and I was amazed - they are not even close - so how does that get done ????

Secondly, this disc matches perfectly to the Retail disc samples .... the packaging as well ... it's out of my league of understanding I guarantee you ... email was a major technological leap for me ... I will say this is as well done as it could possibly be ... when I get some assurance from MS - I will gladly let go of the package for their forensic people to look at ...

Of interest is the suggestion that the "legitimate" key holder may have "quit" using that key # for whatever reason - and had that not happened - we may have never known ...  or had this problem

Tigere

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:41 PM
  • If you submitted a new service request can you please provide me with the confirmation number of that request?

Sorry Matt didn't realize there was another number for the report here is that "new" number ....

Tigere

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Folks.

I am having a similar issue with validation on an HP system I downgraded to XP Pro from Vista Business.

The two lines in the setupp.ini file tigere posted ... are identical to the one on my CD.

Are we both in possession of pirated CD's?

My friend, for whom I installed this software, is getting a warning that their system may have pirated software.

When I try to re-register the key on my package (which was sealed) has a key that does NOT match the one on the system.

The web page reports that my system has a key that ends in RPWBY ... which is how I found this thread.

When I did an install, all was fine. Validation appeared fine. Windows Update ran fine.

But wait, it gets better!  My new system also came with an Nvidia Quadro FX 370 graphics card.

Could their drivers be screwing up the registry??

AlanB66

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:39 PM
  • One more piece of vital information is that I recently downgraded and installed this software on Thursday afternoon -- one day before tigere opened this issue.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hello Alan,

For us to best troubleshoot your issues please create a new thread and post the output of the MGA diagnostic result as described in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2170194&SiteID=25.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Thank you, Matt. I will get back with you as soon as possible. I have to get to that machine remotely to carry out these steps. Plus, I am working with Sherry to best detemine the situation.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Jump to this thread when you have time. Thanks!

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2804031&SiteID=25

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Tigere,

Any news?

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:45 PM
  • At this point everything has come to a screeching halt ... not sure what I am supposed to do now ............

Tigere 

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hello Roger,

Sorry for not following up with you sooner, I would highly suggest following Maggie's advice regarding submitting a piracy report as this would be your best option (you may also receive a free copy of Windows).  Should you have any further questions please direct them towards Maggie as she has been working on your case and will be able to answer any questions you may have.   Please let me know if I may be of further assistance to you.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Tigere,

You and I, amongst many others I have to imagine, were ripped off.

I've come to accept that fact. And, I've purchased the WGA Kit for the Microsoft offer of $149, plus tax.

I also submitted my edge-to-edge XP Pro CD, booklet and receipt to Microsoft.

If they deem, they'll send me an XP Home replacement CD for my couterfeit XP Pro - which is better than nothing.

There is that link to go to www.microsoft.com/genuine to test your system. If it fails, you should be presented with the same option to buy the WGA Kit and to submit your counterfeit installation package for consideration of the complementary replacement CD (of XP Home).

AlanB66

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Alan I am sorry to hear that .... one of these days take the time to read your license agreement ... don't sit in a comfortable chair when you do its very dry and boring ...

but you realize you do not own your copy of your MS operating system ... and failure to comply can result in legal action ... at best you "rent" or "lease" your copy of the OS - but own it - ummhuh.

Imagine leasing a house and while living there a thief enters and steals the water heater the bare wires arc causing a fire which damages the house ... your clothes and furniture are smoke and water damamged ... then the owner comes to you and says you have to pay for the fire damage to the house ... "whaaaat ... How does that work !! " you ask. The owner responds "well you were using the house when the theft occurred" "Oh by the way I impounding your deposits too." .

Thats what MS is asking you to do. You pay an additional 150.00 and you are paying them for THEIR loss to counterfeiters. Depending on what you buy 80.00 for the "new" OS and 150.00 for the counterfeit copy. In my case 240.00 for the OS and (if I paid) 150.00 for the counterfeit copy. MS has managed to transfer a business cost to the customer. So you are "ripped of" not once but twice !!

What is doubly annoying in the process of perpitrating this new fraud, you and I encounter genuinely sincere people like Matt, Dan, Maggie and your young lady with whom you are talking. I assure you Matt could correct your's and my situation in a few key clicks ...but are restrained from doing so by .... and so otherwise good people are dragged along.

The verification process could take minutes and a new copy given you within an hour .. by going to an local authorized center which could run all the diagnostics and visually verify your claim ... but no - we are deferred to cyber -space where we will spend hours and eventually capitulate and just pay the "blood money" ...

Tigere

tigereaz@msn.com

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Tigere,

I'm as unhappy that someone ripped me off as you, but that is not Microsoft's doing. And, keep in mind, I'm a Unix guy. I'd prefer the world to better understand Linux so we could all get on one common OS.

But, I use Windows, my company uses Windows, everyone seems to use Windows and, thus, I use and use well the Windows OS and tools. It is what it is.

As for the counterfeit software ... if you should ever come into possession of counterfeit US currency and get caught, a T-man (US Treasury agent) will confiscate all of the counterfeit currency in your possession and give you (1) a chance to explain how you have it, and (2) nothing to replace it. They won't trade you dollar for dollar nor 10-cents on the counterfeit dollar. Stolen and counterfeit goods are illegal and subject to confiscation.

So, get your counterfeit software in the mail to Microsoft and hope they send you XP Home for free.

And, get your new XP Pro WGA kit (which includes an XP Pro CD) for the $150.

Then, when you have a new computer that comes with Vista Business/Ultimate, you can legitimately downgrade to XP Pro over and over and over.

Alan

Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:00 PM