Problems installing CRM 2011 Client with Offline Access RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of starting to use CRM 2011 in a hosted configuration.

I'm trying to deploy CRM 2011 v05.00.9690.1992 (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27821) to approximately 80 client machines running Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Office 2010 SP1 x86. We don't have SCCM or SCE so my options are limited to:

- startup scripts,
    - GPO install using publishing (AFAIK assigned installs are not supported).

I've read pretty much everything available on TechNet as far deployment options and while I can easily deploy/instal CRM 2011 without the Offline capability I'm failing (actually it doesn't fail, it just isn't available) when Offline is needed.

I've tried the following to install it with Offline capability:

- extracted the files and used: Setupclient.exe /Q /installofflinecapability /L C:\crm.log
    It installs fine which is also confirmed by the crm.log (no errors), but I get "You currently do not have offline capability. Would you like to install the required components" when I go to Outlook/CRM and click Go Offline. If I click Yes, I get a UAC prompt and need to provide admin credentials (not acceptable).

- created an administrative install, used GPO Publishing (with the correct CrmClient_32.msi), went to Programs\Install a program from a network, clicked Install, selected Offline Mode and installed it (again without errors), but receive the same "You currently do not have offline capability. Would you like to install the required components".

- installed all the required components/prerequisites before installing CRM client. I prefer this approach since the computers don't download everything directly from the internet and in my testing the install itself never failed (it did at times with the above two, naturally I didn't expect it to work when I got a message setup didn't complete successfuly).

In addition to viewing Programs and the crm.log to get an idea what exactly the prerequisites are, I've used these posts: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crminthefield/archive/2011/11/07/how-to-install-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-without-an-internet-connection.aspx and http://bit.ly/Ardqfm

These is what gets installed before installing the CRM client (I always checked it does indeed install as expected by viewing at the logs, folder structure and Programs):

Using GPO install:

Using Startup Scripts:

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart
    Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu /quiet /norestart
    SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe /q /HIDECONSOLE /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLENGINE /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /INSTANCENAME=CRM /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service"

I then install the CRM client, be it using the Setupclient.exe /Q /installofflinecapability or GPO Install Publishing and selecting Offline mode. I always get "You currently do not have offline capability. Would you like to install the required components".

Is there an additional switch, method I can try, can I test with an older version (not really desired, but if so where do I get it) of the client...

Please help me out. I'm on a short deadline and need to start deploying CRM 2011 Client with Offline capability without the above warnings.

• Edited by CypherMike Friday, February 3, 2012 11:02 AM Grammar
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi , If you use "Quite" mode then you have to give configuration information in XML format. Use  /i parameter for passing the name of the XML configuration file.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699665.aspx

The /Q quiet mode configuration parameter requires a
    configuration file in XML format. No dialog boxes or error messages will appear
    on the display screen. To capture error message information, include the log
    file parameter (/L) or verbose logging
    (/LV).

The /i [drive:] [[path]
    configfilename.xml]] command-line parameter provides Microsoft Dynamics
    CRM for Outlook Setup with required information. It is the same information that
    each installation screen requires. The XML elements must be in English (US);
    special or extended characters cannot be used. An XML configuration file that
    has localized XML elements will not work correctly.

Sample

<Deployments>
             <Deployment>
                   <DiscoveryUrl>http://crmserver</DiscoveryUrl>
                  <Organizations>
                       <Organization IsPrimary='true'>Constoso</Organization>
                       <Organization>AdventureWorksCycle</Organization>
                 </Organizations>
           </Deployment>
    </Deployments>
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Nallathambi, thank you for your reply.
    While I can easily test what you suggested I see this from the same URL you provided:

To install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Microsoft Office Outlook with Offline Access in quiet mode:

Setupclient /Q /l c:\clientinstalllog.txt /installofflinecapability /targetdir "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client"

Also how come it doesn't install Offline mode when using GPO Install Publishing and selecting Offline during install?

Please assist me with this, I'm sure many of you deployed the CRM client and can offer some guidance.

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:38 PM
  • I hate bumping this tread, but am in dire need to get this installed as soon as possible and am still failing as per my first post.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 7:15 AM
  • In the additional testing that I performed I also manually installed the CRM client and choosing Offline mode both to a domain joined and a newly installed workgroup computer running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 and Office 2010 SP1 Standard x86.

While the install completed without errors I still get "You currently do not have offline capability. Would you like to install the required components" when I click on Go Offline.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:48 AM
  • If I read things correctly, using /Q requires a config file, specified using /I

In your original post, I don't see a /I

and if you use /I you need to tell it where the config file is.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Adam, thank you for the reply, but this was already suggested previously. Copy/paste from the MS documentation (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699665.aspx):

To install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Microsoft Office Outlook with Offline Access in quiet mode:
    Setupclient /Q /l c:\clientinstalllog.txt /installofflinecapability /targetdir "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client"

The switches are: Setupclient.exe [/A] [/Q] [/X] [/L or /LV "[drive:][[path] logfilename.log]"] [/targetdir "[drive:][path]"] [/installofflinecapability] [/disableofflinecapability] [/ignoreofflinequeue]

Even if the switch I'm using is not correct I wouldn't have this same issue when I install the client though GPO publishing (.msi is used there not an .exe command) or even manually.

Has anyone tried to install the CRM client RU6 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27821 manually by selecting Offline mode? I've tried it in on more then half a dozen machines (all Win7 SP1 Enterprise x64 with Office 2010 SP1 Standard x86) and while the install always completes successfully I still receive:  "You currently do not have offline capability. Would you like to install the required components" when I click on Go Offline.

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:58 AM