none
Edit feature screws up the formatting of code RRS feed

• Question

• Once you post a question/discussion and you try to "edit" the body of the question/discussion that has code formatting, the formatting gets screwed up once you save. Now this is the first time I posted here and I am sure many many other have had the pleasure of being frustrated when the formatting gets crazy. And by formatting gets screwed, I mean that there are newlines being insterted at each line...

Frustrating, please fix.

Thanks,
    Moe Howard brother of Curly

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:37 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is a known issue, but the good news is we are getting more help recently on bug fixing. So I expect this to be addressed sooner than later, thanks for posting.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Once you post a question/discussion and you try to "edit" the body of the question/discussion that has code formatting, the formatting gets screwed up once you save. Now this is the first time I posted here and I am sure many many other have had the pleasure of being frustrated when the formatting gets crazy. And by formatting gets screwed, I mean that there are newlines being insterted at each line...

Frustrating, please fix.

Thanks,
    Moe Howard brother of Curly

Unfortunately, this has been broken for a long time (years?) and I see no sign that anyone is attempting to fix it.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Yes, this is a known issue, but the good news is we are getting more help recently on bug fixing. So I expect this to be addressed sooner than later, thanks for posting.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:26 PM
    Answerer
    Thanks Brent. I stand corrected and look forward to seeing this fixed.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:43 PM
  • A fix would be good, but what we truly need is a completely new solution for posting code.Its not just the edit-bug, e.g long codelines wont be wrapped and long scripts mess up the thread, and make it hard to read.

So a real code-box, resizable and scrollable, inside the posting would be a good solution. Like the edit box in preview mode. Line numbering would be great feature as well, so you could easily refer to certain code lines, without the need to repost the lines over and over again.

http://bytecookie.wordpress.com/
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Agreed. How we get there may take some time, in smaller steps though.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:23 PM
    Answerer