Show Backup Progress on WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On the old WHS you could see the progress of the backup on the client by hovering over the icon, this seems no longer to be the case on 2011.

Is there any way to switch this on?  Its handy if your at a client machine to see if its doing a backup or not.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• No. Microsoft says it wants backups to be seamless so removed the facility. You will need to login to your Dashboard to see progress.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by TheBlueRaja Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:34 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• No. Microsoft says it wants backups to be seamless so removed the facility. You will need to login to your Dashboard to see progress.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by TheBlueRaja Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:34 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:22 PM
  • And feel free to search Connect and vote up one of the several product suggestions that request returning this information to the client. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Absolutely crazy.

How does removing the information about the progress of a backup make it seamless, especially when i need to do MORE steps to see the progress of a backup.

It just leads to more unintentionally cancelled backups, i'd rather know my data was backed by waiting another 5 minutes than not having a clue if it was backed up or not.

Nuts.

Thanks Ken ad Philip, not your fault, i'll head on over to connect and upvote it.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Ken - I could only find one report covering this issue: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/644807/launchpad-notification-area-icon-never-turns-blue

And that's been marked by Microsoft as "Closed - Won't fix". Sigh.

The issue may well have been submitted before as a product suggestion, but Microsoft deleted ALL suggestions back in March...

Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I think the shortest way to see the clients backup status is through the "Backup" option in the cliens Launchpad.
    You can strat a manual backup from there - or see backup status when one is in progress.
    - Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:40 PM
  • There's now an Add-in to provide a toolbar icon for client PCs that will show whether a backup is running. It aims to give the same behaviour as the old WHS v1 icon. See here:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/07/20/home-server-status-windows-home-server-2011/

Edit: just a point of clarification: this isn't an Add-in that is installed on the WHS 2011 server, but a utility that is installed on client PCs. It seems to work very well.

Edit 2: That link no longer works. Any mention of the utility has been removed from the We Got Served site and forums.
    • Edited by Geoffc1 Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:19 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:07 AM
  • That utility I mentioned in my last message is Home Server Status.

All mention of it over at the We Got Served site has been expunged for some reason: from the Forums, and even from the News Items on the main site.

If people want to try it out (and it's a great little utility), then you can now find it here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/files/category/6-home-server-status/

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Or here:

Using Windows Home Server - Home Server Status 

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:53 PM
  • I only use Home Server Status. I stopped the Launchpad from loading at startup and now have HSS load at startup. The Launchpad uses 75+mb of ram, HSS uses about 25+, is far more useful and loads much quicker. I honestly don't see the any value of the Launchpad anymore.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:22 PM
  • You know, I have to admit that I don't see why anyone cares that a client is backing up right now, which is what y'all are asking for, :)

The important piece of information isn't what's happening at this instant, it's whether the last scheduled (or unscheduled, i.e. manual) backup was successful or not. And that bit of information generates an alert that the server administrator can see (as can others if the server administrator sets things up appropriately).

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Ken, as has been posted before:

The scenario is that a member of the family is using their PC or laptop and goes to shut it down. With WHS v1, it was a simple matter to teach them to remember: "if the icon is blue - a backup is being made, so don't shut down your PC just yet!"

With Launchpad, they don't have this simple way to check, and they probably don't have the inclination to open up Launchpad to check in any case. And why should they, they want life to be simple.

Not all of us are geeks.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:56 PM
  • The scenario is that a member of the family is using their PC or laptop and goes to shut it down. With WHS v1, it was a simple matter to teach them to remember: "if the icon is blue - a backup is being made, so don't shut down your PC just yet!"

I get the scenario, but my take on this is: Just because there are processes which I want to have run on your PC on a regular basis doesn't change the fact that it's your PC, not mine. Go ahead and use it how you want to. If you interrupt a backup, I'll see that, but in the long run it doesn't matter, as it will just back up successfully the next time around, so the question of interrupting a specific backup is immaterial to me.

As for "not all of us are geeks": true. I'm more of one than most, probably. And yet I feel that it doesn't matter if a particular backup gets interrupted, as long as regular backups occur successfully. If Something Bad­™ happens, work is lost, yes, but that Something Bad™ could just as easily have happened 5 minutes before the start of the backup...

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:47 PM