Using WHS as a File Server on a Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network setup that consists of a Windows 2003 Domain.  I would like to setup Folder Redirection and would like to use a share on my WHS so that I can use folder duplication.  I understand that it's against the EULA to have the WHS as a DC or joined to a domain, so I was wondering if I could leave the WHS on a Workgroup and have all of the other PCs on the network joined to the domain?  What permissions do I need on the shares or what do I need to do to the WHS to get the Domain users logged onto the other PCs permission to the "Profile" share on my WHS?
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:34 PM

All replies

• I have a small network setup that consists of a Windows 2003 Domain.  I would like to setup Folder Redirection and would like to use a share on my WHS so that I can use folder duplication.  I understand that it's against the EULA to have the WHS as a DC or joined to a domain, so I was wondering if I could leave the WHS on a Workgroup and have all of the other PCs on the network joined to the domain?

Yes.

What permissions do I need on the shares or what do I need to do to the WHS to get the Domain users logged onto the other PCs permission to the "Profile" share on my WHS?
    Just create the user accounts in the WHS Console to match the username/passwords in your domain.  However, FYI, there used to be issues with some file types when using Offline Files/Folder Redirection on WHS (Office files come to mind at the moment).  I don't know if's been resolved or not, so you might want to reconsider using Folder Redirection.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Just create the user accounts in the WHS Console to match the username/passwords in your domain.  However, FYI, there used to be issues with some file types when using Offline Files/Folder Redirection on WHS (Office files come to mind at the moment).  I don't know if's been resolved or not, so you might want to reconsider using Folder Redirection.

I wasn't planning on using Offline Files as I've had issues with them before due to files being locked, etc.  I was planning on disabling Offline files to avoid that issue.  I'm still in the process of doing a restore on my WHS, so I'll give it try later...hopefully it works :)
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I tried setting up the share for Folder Redirection, but it doesn't appear to be working.  I am able to browse my network to the share and create folders under my accounts folder in the Users share on my Home Server.  If I look through profile of my Domain ID on my Windows 7 box, I don't see any folders being redirected there.  Any ideas?

Monday, November 9, 2009 6:29 PM