none
Problem with unallocated space on a 4tb drive RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so my problem is i have a Self built Asus server with 4x Seagate 1tb drives Raid0
    i installed WHS (no Powerpacks installed yet) on the 4tb Raid0 created drive and when i go into WHS console it tells me 4tb total but only 1.97tb available i go into
    computer management and it shows 4tb Raid0 Drive as C: 20.00gb // D: 2027.99gb // Unallocated 1673.55 <== why did it not allocate all of the free space to D? plus it well not let me create a partition on that unallocated space. dose anyone know why this is?

ive check folder Dup in WHS Console and its off for all folders no info on drive yet str8 fresh install

all drivers are up to date and installed

HHHEEELLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

WHS Server Specs

Intel E5400
    4g DDR2
    Asus P5BV mb
    ATI HD4350 Raedon Video Card
    2x 4int SataII Promise SATA300 TX4 cards (no drives attached "yet")
    1x Silicon Image PCI-x 2int 2ext Sata Card = Attached 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Drive (not added to drive pool "backup drive")
    4x 1tb Seagate Barracuda Drives onboard LSI Embeded Raid0 (C: / D:)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:11 PM

Answers

• Please read this Technet article, which discusses storage limitations on Microsoft's various server operating systems:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773268(WS.10).aspx

Windows Home Server V1 is based on Windows Server 2003, so pay particular attention to that information.

Also, please don't use RAID 0. Stripe sets should only be used where the data on the volume is replaceable at any moment, as the loss of a single disk in the array usually means the loss of all the data on the array. Instead of RAID 0, let Windows Home Server use the individual disks directly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• Please read this Technet article, which discusses storage limitations on Microsoft's various server operating systems:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773268(WS.10).aspx

Windows Home Server V1 is based on Windows Server 2003, so pay particular attention to that information.

Also, please don't use RAID 0. Stripe sets should only be used where the data on the volume is replaceable at any moment, as the loss of a single disk in the array usually means the loss of all the data on the array. Instead of RAID 0, let Windows Home Server use the individual disks directly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:24 PM
  • ty for the reply and help Ken lol yes Raid0 is bad in that way but i was making up for the loss with the 2tb drive i had attached not int he pool i was going to backup the share folders to that drive  i need the raid0 performance speeds . its a shame there are such storage limits on the OS do you think i can do this idea ont he new WHS 2011?

hmm after reading the technet  basic disk isnt gonna let me go bigger so i guess that answered my question ty for all the help Ken

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:38 PM