Add in management RRS feed

• Question

• I am a bit confused about add in management for WHS 2011 as this seems to differ from v1. v1 had a dedicated AddIn folder within the default Software folder, any addin there would installed via the console and was then available from the console deepending on the interface it used.

With WHS 2011 it appears that you do not install an add in via Dashboard but have to use an RDP session to browse to the .msi file and install it in the 1st place. Have I missed something as I have followed this procedure for my Avast license but the add in is not then listed in the Dashboard. The default install does not even create the software folder to host the add ins folder.

25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:27 AM

Answers

• WHS1 add-ins don't work on WHS2011 - you need a specific version designed for the new OS. If you download a WHS2011 add-in on a computer with the WHS2011 connector installed (it comes as a .wssx file) you will be asked if you want to open with "Windows Server Install an Add-in".

"The supported operating systems for avast! Internet Security 6.x, avast! Pro Antivirus 6.x and avast! Free Antivirus 6.x are Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit) or Microsoft Windows 7 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit).

Note:
    The above means that avast! 6.x isn't supported (isn't compatible, can't be installed and won't run) on DOS, Microsoft Windows 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows Server operating systems, or any others which aren't specified as supported."

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Hairy Fool Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:55 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:34 AM

All replies

• Add-ins are generally installed by one of your client machines (no RDP to the server). They come as .wssx files - just run and it does the rest for you.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:54 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:51 AM
  • To quote from the help link

"

A Windows Home Server 2011 add-in is a software application that provides additional features and functionality for your server. A growing number of add-ins are available from Microsoft and other Independent Software Vendors (ISVs).

Before you can take advantage of the extended functionality that an add-in provides, you must first install the add-in on the server.

To install an add-in

1. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location of the add-in installation file.

2. Double-click the file to run the installation wizard.

3. Follow the instructions in the wizard to install the add-in.

4. When the installation is finished, open the Add-ins page of the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard and verify that the add-in appears in the list view."

No mention here of where to run the add-in (client or server) nor what format the file is. I was under the impression that add ins from v1 would work with 2011 but these would not be in a specific format for the later version. It would appear that at the moment Avast (yes I know this is a 3rd party product) has not yet produced a revised installer and I do not get the client manager following the above instructions.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:29 AM
  • WHS1 add-ins don't work on WHS2011 - you need a specific version designed for the new OS. If you download a WHS2011 add-in on a computer with the WHS2011 connector installed (it comes as a .wssx file) you will be asked if you want to open with "Windows Server Install an Add-in".

"The supported operating systems for avast! Internet Security 6.x, avast! Pro Antivirus 6.x and avast! Free Antivirus 6.x are Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit) or Microsoft Windows 7 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit).

Note:
    The above means that avast! 6.x isn't supported (isn't compatible, can't be installed and won't run) on DOS, Microsoft Windows 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows Server operating systems, or any others which aren't specified as supported."

• Marked as answer by Hairy Fool Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:55 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:34 AM
  • At least that explains why I am confused, MS could have made this a bit clearer in the page I have taken the quote from.

Incidentally the Avast is able to install on the server as it is not V6 of any version but a specific server version of 4.8, it is just the management options within dashboard are missing which is not a showstopper at this stage. Hopefully Avast will get their act together and release a WHS 2011 compatible version soon.:)

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:54 PM
  • I downloaded the Windows Server Solutions Phone Connector add-in and its a .wssx file. Supposedly I just double click it to install and with this that is not the case. When I double click it I get asked what program do I want to use to open it. I can not get this darn thing installed. Any suggstions?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:47 AM
  • On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:47:04 +0000, Azar1 wrote:

I downloaded the Windows Server Solutions Phone Connector add-in and its a .wssx file. Supposedly I just double click it to install and with this that is not the case. When I double click it I get asked what program do I want to use to open it. I can not get this darn thing installed. Any suggstions?

Read the installation instructions?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh319881.aspx

My guess is that you're trying to install it directly from the WHS 2011
    server. You need to run the install from a computer that has the WHS
    connector software installed as per the instructions.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:17 PM
  • If you download a WHS2011 add-in on a computer with the WHS2011 connector installed (it comes as a .wssx file) you will be asked if you want to open with "Windows Server Install an Add-in".

From above - it requires you to do this on a Client Machine with the WHS2011 Connector installed. Follow the instructions linked by Paul Adare.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:55 PM