none
Is it possible to preserve, using local (not cloud) resources, user generated data across install of a new version of an app? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that generates simple user data (sums of numbers, etc.).  I code the app to write and restore it from local storage between runs of the app, including detecting the initial run after install and then creating the storage/setting initial values.  When I install a new version of the app, that data is "wiped" clean and restarts from 0, currently, even though, while installing, I see messages from the OS "saving" and then "restoring" data. 

My question then is there something I need to (or can) code to preserve this data across installations using only this local storage facility (and not cloud)?

Gary Glanz

• Moved by Mattew Wu Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:29 AM not app studio issue
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gary,

What type of the app do you develop? And since your issue is out of the scope of App Studio forum, I will move it so that you could be assisted better.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Zhendong Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:27 AM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hello,

as Zhendong already asked, what Kind of app do you develop? MFC app? Which language do you use? Then we can think about where you can post your question.

Regards, Guido

Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:46 AM
  • I'd ask for help over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:12 PM