Cannot add drive as backup disk RRS feed

• Question

•  

I removed a drive from the storage pool, and am trying to re-add it as a backup drive.  I selected the option to format it.  I keep getting the error "The hard drive was not formatted as it is being used by another program or service.  I rebooted my WHS, and keep getting the same error.  My WHS is a dell poweredge SC440 with two WD GP 750 drives in the server, and an esata Terabox attached with 4 more drives, including another WD GP 750 that is the drive in question. 

I can successfully add the drive as a backup drive if I choose not to format it and keep existing files.  I don't know what application would have been using this drive, and caused the error.  Any ideas?  Could it be the esata port multiplier causing the problem?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:27 PM

All replies

•  BigmanMN wrote:
    I removed a drive from the storage pool, and am trying to re-add it as a backup drive.  I selected the option to format it.  I keep getting the error "The hard drive was not formatted as it is being used by another program or service.  I rebooted my WHS, and keep getting the same error.  My WHS is a dell poweredge SC440 with two WD GP 750 drives in the server, and an esata Terabox attached with 4 more drives, including another WD GP 750 that is the drive in question. 

I can successfully add the drive as a backup drive if I choose not to format it and keep existing files.  I don't know what application would have been using this drive, and caused the error.  Any ideas?  Could it be the esata port multiplier causing the problem?

Is this a clean install of WHS with PP1 beta integrated?  Or did you install the upgrade package on top of WHS RTM?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:51 PM
  • BigmanMN, could you please submit a bug on Connect , and include server talq logs?

Then could you connect that drive to another computer, turn on hidden and system files, and see what's on it?
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:09 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    BigmanMN, could you please submit a bug on Connect , and include server talq logs?

Then could you connect that drive to another computer, turn on hidden and system files, and see what's on it?

I suspect it's System Volume Information (Shadow Copies).  That's why I was wondering if it's a new install or an upgrade.  (I can reproduce the exact scenario in a VM by running Shadow Copies manually.)

EDIT:  I just posted it on Connect.  BigmanMN, can you see if this sounds like what you are experiencing?  If so, you can fix it by logging into the server desktop and follow these steps:  Click Start, then My Computer.  You should see a third drive letter there besides C and D (probably either E or F) and the volume name will be REMOVED.  Right click on that drive and select Properties.  Then click Shadow Copies tab.  You will see that third drive letter in that list and it will probably have Shadow Copies (you can tell by looking at the Used space associated with it).  You need to delete all of the Shadows on that drive.  In the list below called Shadow copies of selected volume, select a specific date/time then click Delete Now.  Keep doing that for all other shadows on that drive until the list is empty.  Once there are no Shadows left on that drive, try adding it as an external backup again.  It should work at that point.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:30 PM
  • I also had this. Temporary fix is as follows:

Right click My computer, Manage, Disk Management
    Right click errant hard drive and delete partition.
    WHS will advise that you are only able to force this action, click "yes"
    Right click again and Create Partition, assign drive letter and label (note this label will appear as the default label later)
    Open WHS Connector, go to Storage tab
    Follow the add hard drive procedure which should now work.

I am still unable to "enable" file duplication however. So the backup drive is presently useless.

WHS Server:

Asrock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2

Pentium D 2.8GHz

2Gb RAM

2 x Maxtor 500GB Hard Drives.

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:17 AM
  • I installed the upgrade package on top of WHS (OEM version).

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Kariya,

There appeared to be 5 shadow copies of this drive.  They were not listed as additional drives, but the box below the drives listed 5 different dates of shadow copies, of which I deleted each one.  I then went back and added the drive as a backup drive, and selected the option to format it.   This worked successfully.   Is this a normal occurrence when you remove a disk from the storage pool, remove it, and then re-add it as a backup disk?  Thanks for your help on this.

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Bigman did you get File Duplication back up and running, or another form of backup?

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:16 PM
  •  joewalch wrote:

Bigman did you get File Duplication back up and running, or another form of backup?

Yes, I was able to set this drive as a backup drive, duplicating the data on the WHS.  I could do this previously as well, even without being able to format the backup drive when I added it the first time.

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  BigmanMN wrote:

Kariya,

There appeared to be 5 shadow copies of this drive.  They were not listed as additional drives, but the box below the drives listed 5 different dates of shadow copies, of which I deleted each one.  I then went back and added the drive as a backup drive, and selected the option to format it.   This worked successfully.   Is this a normal occurrence when you remove a disk from the storage pool, remove it, and then re-add it as a backup disk?  Thanks for your help on this.

It's apparently a bug (probably because the disk is still in use by VSS, even after removal from the storage pool).  FWIW, this doesn't happen on a clean install of WHS with PP1 integrated.  (It appears that MS has now completely disabled Shadow Copies, but didn't add that change to the Upgrade Package.)

I posted the bug report here on Connect.  Feel free to validate my bug report. Smile

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:03 AM
  •  joewalch wrote:

I also had this. Temporary fix is as follows:

Right click My computer, Manage, Disk Management
    Right click errant hard drive and delete partition.
    WHS will advise that you are only able to force this action, click "yes"
    Right click again and Create Partition, assign drive letter and label (note this label will appear as the default label later)
    Open WHS Connector, go to Storage tab
    Follow the add hard drive procedure which should now work.

I am still unable to "enable" file duplication however. So the backup drive is presently useless.

WHS Server:

Asrock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2

Pentium D 2.8GHz

2Gb RAM

2 x Maxtor 500GB Hard Drives.

Once you added the drive as external storage, it didn't allow you to backup one or more shares to it?  If that's the case, you should file a bug report on Connect.  NOTE: Folder Duplication is not the same as external backup storage.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:14 AM
  • I realise this now, took a while though!!

What I am really looking for is the straight forward nature of external backup, ie exactly the same file structure as seen in "Shared" on the second drive, with the qutomatic convenience of File Duplication.

In the previous structure I reinstalled WHS to find that half of the files weren't actually stored in the same place in the secondary drive, thus loosing data.

I think I might try RAID mirroring instead!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:08 PM
  •  joewalch wrote:
    I realise this now, took a while though!!

What I am really looking for is the straight forward nature of external backup, ie exactly the same file structure as seen in "Shared" on the second drive, with the qutomatic convenience of File Duplication.

In the previous structure I reinstalled WHS to find that half of the files weren't actually stored in the same place in the secondary drive, thus loosing data.

If you did a Server Reinstallation, you should not have lost any data.

joewalch wrote:
    I think I might try RAID mirroring instead!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:13 PM