Foldershare UX in Mesh RRS feed

• General discussion

• So, I hear a lot of people think (including myself) that Remote desktop isn't alway the best way to acces all files on a pc. Remote Desktop is good when you really wont to do something on that device not If you need a file that isn't in your Mesh.

A lot of people brought up the UX of Foldershare and thought it would be nice to have in Live Mesh, here is what I've made of it.

Instead of Connect to Device you can now 'EXPLORE DEVICE' wish gives you this familiar Foldershare screen :

I think a Lot of People would love this feature ! Also, include SKYDRIVE in the Device ring , so we choose upload something to the skydrive from within Mesh. If you would click 'Explore Device' on the Skydrive you should be taken to the skydrive page where you can choose to share one perticular file with one perticular person ! (also a great requested feature + skydrive is by definition one-way sync)

Here's what I think should happen:

• The next update of the FolderShare client you be the transformation into the Mesh Client :
    • It should check if you have mesh installed allready
    • It should install mesh if nesessary
    • It should make al you 'FolderShared' folders into 'Live Mesh Folders')
    • If you share folders with friends it should invite them to those folders
    • It should enable the same permissions as in FolderShare
    • All these folders you be P2P and not stored on the Live Desktop by default
    • Then it should remove the FolderShare Client from the desktop
    Am I dreaming ? Or are you working on this ? Anybody Else thoughts on this ?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• that would be great :)
    imo there should reaölly be a foldershare client and a mesh client.. they should be integrated into a single product :)
    i might want the stuff on my skydrive to be synced with the live desktop and my laptop or whatever.. they should all be consolidated i think.. otherwise it'll just be double work for the teams :)
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hi CKurt,

I love the mock-ups you've created!  Integrating Live Mesh with Foldershare and/or SkyDrive are popular feature requests, but I'm going to share your post here with the whole team so they can see the pictures of what you're envisioning!

Keep the ideas coming!

Ben.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi CKurt,

I love the mock-ups you've created!  Integrating Live Mesh with Foldershare and/or SkyDrive are popular feature requests, but I'm going to share your post here with the whole team so they can see the pictures of what you're envisioning!

Keep the ideas coming!

Ben.

Thx Ben ! That's why I created them. I personally think the "Explore Device" is a good integration (because in FF3 the connect button doesn't work)

Would love some feedback from the rest of the team! Are you allowed to say if you are working on it or not ?

Here is another one (wish hasn't been optimized yet but you get the idea) :

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:27 PM
  • CKurt said:

Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi CKurt,

Keep the ideas coming!

Ben.

Thx Ben ! That's why I created them. I personally think the "Explore Device" is a good integration (because in FF3 the connect button doesn't work)

Would love some feedback from the rest of the team! Are you allowed to say if you are working on it or not ?

Hi CKurt,

I'm afraid I have to be non-committal about what we are and are not working on. ;)  But we are definitely paying very close attention to all of the great feedback we're getting from customers!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:51 PM
  • I'v added a extra screenshot.

Thx for the quick reply btw ! Really Really Really looking forward to the next release of Foldershare & Live Mesh (Hope the integration of those to is the next step) I know you can't say anything but I can dream can't I ;-)
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:16 PM
  • CKurt,

You're making me dream too. I love the screenshot and I think they're probably the BEST feature request/dream I've seen brought forth for live meash. The foldershare update/upgrade to the mesh, I think is a great idea and people who love foldershare would not object to the changes as long as their current features are not changed and the update maintains their settings, as you so eloquently stated above.

The skydrive integration, I think is a no brainer and shouldn't even take that much work, because it would just be a storage area not a full desktop. And I would also agree that sending you to the skydrive page would probably be better than just integrating that storage into the webdesktop. The skydrive team has done some great work there and they should be allowed to continue improving their services.

"Explore device" instead of connect to remote desktop is probably THE most important feature to add in the future. Not sure about the technical details and the background work needed for it, but it would make a lot of the criticism about remote desktop, go away. Even if you have a slow connection, you could use pre-rendered images saved in the web for that particular device, so the bandwidth is only used to pull down the data or updates to the data instead of the whole desktop. Much more efficient I think.

Hope the team takes CKurt's post serisouly, because they will definitely make Live Mesh a killer service when it's released.  Can't wait.

• Edited by LorencM Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:21 PM spelling
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Indeed "Explore Device" is one that is really needed because remote desktop is very slow most of the time - even on the same LAN :( -

And I think it's not such a bigg deal, the UI is already there in FolderShare Bèta (and since it is still in bèta you can more easy change it over to Live Mesh without mush complaint)

The biggest deal would be to get the Update of the Client working correctly as I stated in my first post. If it is implemented the way I suggest I think NOBODY would hate switching to Live Mesh..
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Okay,

I justed wanted to bring this topic back up in the Forum List. I really hope the "Explorer Device" feature has made it into the PDC update of Mesh.

Hope to see my mookups become reality !!

Anybody else looking forward to this scenario ?

www.ckurt.net
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Looks like a graphical mock up to me...

I have to wonder what the future of products such as Foldershare is seeing as they seem to be in direct competition with Live Mesh?
    Monday, December 1, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Try defragging your hard disk.  This slows your computer and dampens performance- its probably what is making remote desktop so slow.  Tray Diskeeper, they're the best.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:10 PM