Troubleshooting Peer-to-Peer Connections RRS feed

• Question

• I've updated my systems to build 0.9.3103.9 but still my peer-to-peer connections are going over the Internet rather than my local network. 

Until I can reliably make direct connections to the machines on my local network (all are on the same class C 192.168.1.0/24 network) the use of Mesh will be problematic for me.   Simply syncing a few hundred meg's between any computer and the Live Desktop or to another computer over the Internet wouldn't be a big deal.  But once you start talking GB's worth of data (say for a music or photo library, heck even Outlook pst files) pushing those over an ISP that has any kind of bandwidth limits will prove problematic (i.e. reduced upload/download speeds for all applications) or even costly (i.e. excessive downloads are charged extra $$). 

Ultimately, I'd like to see a sync option for each folder that says only sync the enclosures (content) when a direct connection is available and a logging/report page that gives you a run down of the amount of data transferred in the past 1d,7d,30d period.

In the mean time, I'd like to help figure out why the connection continues to go to the Internet.  What can I do?  What logging can I enable on the Mesh client that will give you or I info on what is causing the issue?

Thanks,
    Brian

• Edited by jenksb Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:45 PM text correction
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

We are continuing to work to improve the P2P sync functionality - there were improvements in yesterday's update, in fact - but we know we're really only at the beginning when it comes to making P2P fully efficient.  You may wish to read my response in this thread for a little more detail.  And in the meantime, I encourage you to add your ideas for how you'd like to see the functioning/tracking of P2P sync work to our Wish List.

Thanks for helping us improve Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:27 PM

All replies

• I second the request for reports that give us stats on amount of data being synced. The artificial ISP limitation scenario is a very real one for me here in the UK.

Having seen a video on how p2p works on mesh I suspect true p2p isn't going to be possible - its been architected to go through the cloud. Whether its just the feed info or the enclosures themselves that go through the cloud - I'm not sure.

cheers
    Jamie
    http://jamiethomson.spaces.live.com/ | http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:24 PM
  • I peer-to-peered 10GB a few days back, and that definitely didn't go through the internet (my ISP's data logs showed no spike in traffi). However, the light on my router to the internet flickered away, so probably control information is being sent to keep things in check.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Hi all,

We are continuing to work to improve the P2P sync functionality - there were improvements in yesterday's update, in fact - but we know we're really only at the beginning when it comes to making P2P fully efficient.  You may wish to read my response in this thread for a little more detail.  And in the meantime, I encourage you to add your ideas for how you'd like to see the functioning/tracking of P2P sync work to our Wish List.

Thanks for helping us improve Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:27 PM