Putting the drives to sleep. RRS feed

• Question

•  

This is a serious question, but in the power options there is a place to put the drives to sleep. This seems like a good idea but will they come alive when backup time comes? I guess I could try it but I'd rather ask first.

Thanks Don

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:42 PM

Answers

• You may find that they won't stay powered down for very long, Don. Any disk activity will wake them, which could include Drive Extender balancing files, backups, chkdisk (runs every 12 hours), taking shadow copies to support Previous Versions functionality, etc.

But yes, they should wake back up. You should avoid external disks that have their own sleep functionality built in, as they can appear to WHS to be failing.
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:12 AM

All replies

• You may find that they won't stay powered down for very long, Don. Any disk activity will wake them, which could include Drive Extender balancing files, backups, chkdisk (runs every 12 hours), taking shadow copies to support Previous Versions functionality, etc.

But yes, they should wake back up. You should avoid external disks that have their own sleep functionality built in, as they can appear to WHS to be failing.
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Thanks Ken

I did put them to sleep and a backup was performed early this morning.

Thanks Again

Don

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:12 PM