OneCare Circle Backup to a "remote" OneCare Circle Member Computers External Hard Drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a OneCare Circle with two Computers, each at two physically separate locations.  The first is in my home in Clearwater Florida.  The second is at my son's place in St. Petersburg Florida.  My home Computer has an external USB Hard Drive that my current Backups go to. The Computer at my son's also has an external USB Hard Drive that it's Backups go to.

Does OneCare Circle allow a User to Backup from one remote Computer System to another?

If so, is the Backup to the internal Hard Drive on the remote Computer OR the external Hard Drive on the remote Computer?

Could OneCare Circle remote Computers be set up to backup "each" other?

If any of the above is possible, please give me clues and or directions on how to set it up.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
    • Edited by Mike Lynch Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:09 PM Spelling.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hello, Mike.

All of what you are asking to do is possible, though technically not "supported" *except* for one small thing that causes everything you want to do not to work. You cannot backup over the Internet. Backup can be performed from a OneCare PC to an external disk connected to that PC, CD/DVD, Flash media, or a network Share. The network Share must be local to the PC doing the backing up. So, with the PCs at different locations, they are not on the same subnet or LAN, so you cannot backup to a network Share.

If the PCs were on the same LAN, you could configure a Shared folder on each PC and point the backups from each PC to the Share on the other PC.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hello, Mike.

All of what you are asking to do is possible, though technically not "supported" *except* for one small thing that causes everything you want to do not to work. You cannot backup over the Internet. Backup can be performed from a OneCare PC to an external disk connected to that PC, CD/DVD, Flash media, or a network Share. The network Share must be local to the PC doing the backing up. So, with the PCs at different locations, they are not on the same subnet or LAN, so you cannot backup to a network Share.

If the PCs were on the same LAN, you could configure a Shared folder on each PC and point the backups from each PC to the Share on the other PC.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Thank you for your reply!

What a bummer.  If the Network approach could have worked, it could / might have reduced the number of External Devices required.  It could also have safeguarded the Backups from: fire, theft, who knows what.  I guess that's the motivation of External Backup Sites / Business's that supply or provide Remote Backup Disk Space. Well, it was a thought that I had and I'm sorry OneCare does not allow it.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:34 PM