Transferring OneCare Subscription to Another PC Owner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there and Happy Holidays! I recently (like 2 weeks ago) purchased OneCare for my friend so that we can install it on her computer. She was complaining about virus and adware/spyware problems, and her PC had to be cleaned using OneCare. This software was installed as a new subscription under my name. I wish to now transfer this OneCare subscription/account to her. What is the procedure to do this transfer?

Thanks in advanced.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:58 AM

Answers

• If you created a subscription by activating OneCare on her PC using your LiveID, the subscription will be in your name until it expires. The LiveID used to activate and enter the retail key is the subscription owner and this cannot be changed.

If you did not activate the subscription and it is still in trial mode, but you provided a LiveID to gain access to functions that require a LiveID, you can remove the LiveID prior to activating the actual subscription per the instructions here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• If you created a subscription by activating OneCare on her PC using your LiveID, the subscription will be in your name until it expires. The LiveID used to activate and enter the retail key is the subscription owner and this cannot be changed.

If you did not activate the subscription and it is still in trial mode, but you provided a LiveID to gain access to functions that require a LiveID, you can remove the LiveID prior to activating the actual subscription per the instructions here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 3:59 PM
  • "If you created a subscription by activating OneCare on her PC using your LiveID, the subscription will be in your name until it expires. The LiveID used to activate and enter the retail key is the subscription owner and this cannot be changed."

This was what I was afraid of.

Once the suhscription expires, can she renew the subscription using her own Live ID, which would "disconnect" my Live ID from her PC?

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:23 PM
  • If you just activated within the last few weeks, it may be a moot point as renewals will no longer be available by the end of 2009. The exact date is unknown. See the announcement about the end of life for OneCare at the top of this topic folder or the General folder. A new free product will be available in the 2nd half of 2009 that will only include virus and spyware protection, not the rest of OneCare's features. If renewal is still offered, you would need to renew the subscription with your LiveID (although it could be her credit card) or the retail key from a box copy of OneCare. OneCare will still be fully supported through the end of 2010.

If new subscriptions are still available when the existing subscription under your LiveID expires, you'd have to uninstall/reinstall to subscribe with a different LiveID (and different payment or retail PIN/Key)

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 8:15 PM