Network backup issues RRS feed

• Question

• My setup is...

Linksys WRT350N router with storage link (usb port that you can plug in external drive into)

Now, I can locate the drive just fine and choose the directory to backup the data to. When I go to do the actual backup though, it goes through it's preliminary scan adn then shows the location, amount ot be backed up and what to backup and about how long. The only problem is, it shows 0 bytes available, even though there is like 15GB free. I only need 380mb for the files I chose to backup.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:42 PM

Answers

• Well, after playing with it and talking with Linksys, it's fixed. It was just a matter of creating a share setup, even though it shows a share of the entire drive, you still have to create a seperate share to the folder (root dir or other folder) for it to work right. It's now reporting the proper amount. OC is now working right as a result and I got the backup done.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:24 PM

All replies

• What is the file system on the backup drive?

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:29 PM
  • FAT32. It's a USB external 160gb drive

I connected a thumb drive up that's fat32 also and it saw it ok and the right free space. The only difference was it was connected directly to the computer instead of over the network.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:51 PM
  • 1. Do you have multiple PC in your OneCare circle?

2. Do you have a printer attached to the PC to which you want to backup?

Thanks

Neeraj

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:35 AM
  • 1. No multiple PCs in my circle. I only loaded the beta on my secondary machine.

2. I have the machine in question, sharing a printer that is attached to my main system, over the network.

How do you backup a printer?

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:20 PM
  • There is no backup to/of printer. Backup and printer sharing features use some common infrastructure and I just wanted to rule out any interference. Since you have only one PC in your circle, printer sharing feature will be silent and not interfere with backup in any way.

Thanks

Neeraj

Saturday, July 14, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Ok, I reread what you asked about the printer and it sunk in that time. You were not asking about backing up the printer, you were asking about a printer on the machine I want backed up. That'll teach me to try and read and answer post as soon as I wake up Smile
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:43 PM
  •  Scortch wrote:
    Ok, I reread what you asked about the printer and it sunk in that time. You were not asking about backing up the printer, you were asking about a printer on the machine I want backed up. That'll teach me to try and read and answer post as soon as I wake up

I do that *all* the time - never learning. :-)

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Oh, and I don't have any other ideas on your particular problem at this point. Hopefully there will be some ideas forthcoming...

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Ok, I did some more digging and testing and this does not appear to be a OC problem. I did a "map network drive" setup and pointed it to the drive and in the "my computer" window, it shows total size as 20mb (which is like way wrong) and 0 free (which is wrong). It's must be the way Linksys does the NAS.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:54 PM
  • It sounds like a Linksys driver then. I was interested in the backup drive from www.drobo.com until I learned that you need to use their software for it to work and that means that Windows Explorer will mis-report the space of the drive.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Well, after playing with it and talking with Linksys, it's fixed. It was just a matter of creating a share setup, even though it shows a share of the entire drive, you still have to create a seperate share to the folder (root dir or other folder) for it to work right. It's now reporting the proper amount. OC is now working right as a result and I got the backup done.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know that it got fixed and is working.

chuck

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:11 PM
  • I have the same problem too. Can you tell me how to create a separate share to the folder?

Right now, I just have the drive mapped as usual, which displays the name as: "DriveName on LinksysDrive (DefaultGateway)", and it just shows 0 bytes available on the drive.

Monday, September 3, 2007 1:32 AM
  •  

Never mind... I think I figured it out. Thanks anyways.
    Monday, September 3, 2007 11:43 AM
  •  

I am also having the same problem, when i map a network drive windows only regognises 20MB of it (its a 300GB drive), it also thinks that it is formatted in NTFS file system when it is really FAT32. Can you please explain how you created a seperate share to the folder.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:22 AM
  •  maver1ck3767 wrote:

I am also having the same problem, when i map a network drive windows only regognises 20MB of it (its a 300GB drive), it also thinks that it is formatted in NTFS file system when it is really FAT32. Can you please explain how you created a seperate share to the folder.

Thanks in advance.

Can you please provide more information? Where is the physical network drive? How is is attached into the network? Make/Model of the device if it is an NAS?

How is this device or drive Shared to the network?

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:33 PM