What is Assignment module in crm 2011. ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

can anybody enlight the Assignment module of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011. ?

What is this for... for assigning records of what ?

Any help....

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:31 AM

Answers

• Most records in Dynamics CRM (and certainly the most commonly used ones, such as accounts, contacts, opportunities, cases and activities) are so-called user-owned records. This just means they are assigned to a user; in Dynamics CRM-speak these records have an “Owner” field which provides a lookup to the list of users. If a user is assigned as the Owner of a record, we can informally say that the record is “assigned” to that user.

Record ownership is not the only determinant of what actions users can perform against records (e.g., read, delete, modify…), but it’s one of the most important determinants: in most security configurations, if you are the owner of a record, you can do more things to it than if somebody else is the owner of it!

Suppose another user needs a level of access to some records owned by you that they do NOT currently have. Maybe you’re going on vacation and you’d like your colleague to mind some accounts for you while you’re out. Perhaps your colleague’s security role restricts her to read-only access to your accounts and you’d like her to be able to modify records in your absence. One way to give her the ability to update your records would be to assign them to her. She would become the owner of the records, and would generally be able to update them.

However, it’s generally NOT a good idea to reassign records in situations like this. For one thing, in an uncustomized Dynamics CRM implementation, if you change the owner of an account record, that change “cascades down” to every child record of that account, and every one of those child records child records, and so on and so forth. By changing the owner of one account record, you can inadvertently change the owner of hundreds of related records. Workflows might be triggered by ownership changes like this, reports can be impacted…all kinds of chaos might ensue!

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful.
    Mubasher Sharif
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mubashersharif.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow me on Twitter!

• Marked as answer by DynamicsCRM31 Friday, June 22, 2012 5:11 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:08 AM

All replies

• It may be related to the service.

When a case is created, it must be assigned to appropriate CSR with the help of queues.

Regards

Karan

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi Karan,

What is CSR....?

Or what i think is we can assign record (leads,accounts,opportunity,contacts etc..) to us and to another user that is assignment of records...

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Hi

CSR - Customer Service Representative

What you specified is also the assignment of records.

You can go for client side scripting or write plugins/ workflows for this kind of assignment of records to follow a business process.

Assignement of cases can be done through queues with in CRM only.

Regards

Karan

Regards Karan Mittal

• Proposed as answer by Karan Mittal Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:42 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Most records in Dynamics CRM (and certainly the most commonly used ones, such as accounts, contacts, opportunities, cases and activities) are so-called user-owned records. This just means they are assigned to a user; in Dynamics CRM-speak these records have an “Owner” field which provides a lookup to the list of users. If a user is assigned as the Owner of a record, we can informally say that the record is “assigned” to that user.

Record ownership is not the only determinant of what actions users can perform against records (e.g., read, delete, modify…), but it’s one of the most important determinants: in most security configurations, if you are the owner of a record, you can do more things to it than if somebody else is the owner of it!

Suppose another user needs a level of access to some records owned by you that they do NOT currently have. Maybe you’re going on vacation and you’d like your colleague to mind some accounts for you while you’re out. Perhaps your colleague’s security role restricts her to read-only access to your accounts and you’d like her to be able to modify records in your absence. One way to give her the ability to update your records would be to assign them to her. She would become the owner of the records, and would generally be able to update them.

However, it’s generally NOT a good idea to reassign records in situations like this. For one thing, in an uncustomized Dynamics CRM implementation, if you change the owner of an account record, that change “cascades down” to every child record of that account, and every one of those child records child records, and so on and so forth. By changing the owner of one account record, you can inadvertently change the owner of hundreds of related records. Workflows might be triggered by ownership changes like this, reports can be impacted…all kinds of chaos might ensue!

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful.
    Mubasher Sharif
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mubashersharif.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow me on Twitter!

• Marked as answer by DynamicsCRM31 Friday, June 22, 2012 5:11 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:08 AM