homeserver.com site down? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to connect to my xxxxxx.homeserver.com site for the last day and it doesn't work. Anyone else having issues? What would cause this not to work, Microsoft DNS servers?

Kind of frustrating!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:35 PM

All replies

• I was able to successfully log in this morning.

Thanks,
    Cary

http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I have been trying to connect to my xxxxxx.homeserver.com site for the last day and it doesn't work. Anyone else having issues? What would cause this not to work, Microsoft DNS servers?

Kind of frustrating!

It's working for me as well.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Hi there

Im having almost the same problem with my one its takes 3 mins to connect if you fix it please can u post how.. im usiing pp3 is that why ?

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hi there

Im having almost the same problem with my one its takes 3 mins to connect if you fix it please can u post how.. im usiing pp3 is that why ?

You should try uninstalling PP3 beta and see if it works afterwards.  If so, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Here it is in 2012 (Nov 5th) and the site seems to be down again. 

the mighty man

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Now December 26, 2012 and homeserver.com seems to be down.  Anyone else?
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:38 PM
  • No problem here.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Gave this a pause over the holidays and back looking into it. Remote web access to my WHS2011 was working previously. I don't use it often, but had a need, and discovered it was down. So now I'd like to get it working again. A power reset of the cable modem, home router, and WHS2011 server did not help.

I set up a trial account at host-tracker.com and their world-wide monitoring network shows homeserver.com down 24x7. My site on that domain, abc.homeserver.com (abc is not my server's remote web access name) is listed as down 24x7 also.

From host-tracker I have the option to check specific ports besides the default 80 or 443. What ports does remote web access use? Perhaps I need to monitor with that port setting?

Just trying to open https://homeserver.com also fails. Shouldn't I at least get some kind of generic WHS landing page at that URL?

NSLOOKUP homeserver.com gives results of 207.46.232.182 and 207.46.197.32

Both are down when ports 80 or 443 attempted from host-tracker.

What am I missing? The provided help (http://technet.microsoft.com/library/remote-access-support-2.aspx) is not very useful. Is there a good in-depth technical article which would give me a roadmap for troubleshooting this?

Sunday, January 6, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Only ports 80 (for http) and 443 (for https) are needed. But are you sure that these ports aren't blocked by your ISP?

First thing to check is IIS on your WHS2011 server. On a client, connected to your internal LAN, click on the "Remote Web Access" tab in the Launchpad.

But most routers don't support what is called "loop-back". To get around this, do the following:

On your client PC, open a command window and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.

Then enter the command "notepad hosts" to open the file "hosts". Note that this is a file without extension.

Insert a new line that starts with the internal IP adress of your server (eg 192.168.1.55) then a horizontal tab and then the external name of your server (eg abc.homeserver.com)

Save the file, exit notepad and exit the command window.

Now try the remote web access option in your launchpad. If that works the problem is not your server.

Luc.

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:05 AM
  • thanks LucTh, remote web access works from within the home using a client here. Didn't need to edit the hosts file, etc., simply use the IP address of the server and click through the security warning about certificate not matching the site.

So you think it could be my ISP blocking traffic? What are the next steps to confirm that and find out if they will release the block? Any technical documentation on implementation of remote web access anywhere I could read?

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Run "ShieldsUp" at www.grc.com - it will tell you which Ports are open. If 80/443 (strictly only 443 is required) are not open you will then need to work out if Port Forwarding is set up correctly on your router or whether they are being blocked by your ISP ( you can ask them) - forwarding is not required when testing on your own LAN.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:07 AM