Vail beta - activation and connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• I  downloaded Vail beta back when it was released and installed it on an Athlon 2600+ system with no problems. for the past several weeks I have been sick and unable to spend any time on the system. Yesterday, I started the system up and it wanted a Activation Code and downloaded 93 updates.

I went to https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ProductKeys and downloaded the keys listed there.

Product Keys
    Product                Language    Build Version    Type    Key Value
    Vail Public Preview Product Keys    English    7495    Lab    XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

MY COMPUTER WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE KEY PROVIDED BY THIS SITE.

I noticed that here it's showing the build version as 7495 WHILE my COMPUTER shows the build version of VAIL as 3790.

I'm definitely doing something wrong; with the 93 updates yesterday my RESOURCES tab shows everything at 6.0.2423.0

The second problem I have is VISIBILITY on my local network. I have a WHS  and 3 client computere. I have tried everything I can think of to get the NEW VAIL SERVER connected to the network without success. I'm open for suggestions.

THANKS in advance for your help.

CarolinaGuy

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• You haven't downloaded and installed Vail (Windows Home Server V2). You've installed the evaluation version of Windows Home Server V1. For the version of the software you have installed, the evaluation period is 30 days, i.e. the period before activation kicks in as you're seeing now. There is no product key available to extend that evaluation period. If you want to evaluate V1, you can just reinstall; that will give you a further 30 days for evaluation.

You should download Vail, if you want to test it, from the Connect site. Please bear in mind that it's beta software at this point, and it's use in a produciton environment is unsupported and not recommended, so please don't trust your only copy of irreplaceable data to it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• You haven't downloaded and installed Vail (Windows Home Server V2). You've installed the evaluation version of Windows Home Server V1. For the version of the software you have installed, the evaluation period is 30 days, i.e. the period before activation kicks in as you're seeing now. There is no product key available to extend that evaluation period. If you want to evaluate V1, you can just reinstall; that will give you a further 30 days for evaluation.

You should download Vail, if you want to test it, from the Connect site. Please bear in mind that it's beta software at this point, and it's use in a produciton environment is unsupported and not recommended, so please don't trust your only copy of irreplaceable data to it.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Ken,

I figured it was something I have erred on. I have a purchased, Activited copy of WHS and have had for about a year.

I downloaded Vail from this site yesterday. I will try it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads

4/26/2010 Windows Home Server Code Name 'Vail' Preview 7495 Build

Will post back, later.

THANKS.

CarolinaGuy

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:56 PM
  • That's the one. Don't bother activating, at least not right now. If Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet is to be believed, we could have a new build of Vail yesterday. :) She claims sometime this week, though I have my doubts...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Ken,

I finally got a good download on VAIL; but, I am going to have to put together a newer system than the Athlon 2600+ I had available.

I forgot that VAIL was a 64-bit application.

A big THANK YOU for your help.

CarolinaGuy

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:29 PM