OKl To Borrow Installation Disc? RRS feed

• Question

• Two years ago, I bought an Acer desktop, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. About a week ago the hard drive failed. The PC came with a recovery partition, but no installation DVD. Would it be illegal for me to borrow a disc from a friend to install? Or better yet, make a backup of the disc? Also, I'm wondering if I would need the OEM disc for the my PC to pass validation. I tried getting help from the manufacturer, but the machine isn't under warranty, and they don't seem to want to help. Any help is appreciated.
    • Edited by Altern8 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:44 AM

Answers

• You should be able to order recovery disks from the manufacturer for a fee.  If they are no longer in stock then use a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.

As for your friend's disk, if is an OEM disk it will only validate if he has the same make, model, and edition of Windows as you.  Your motherboard has a speific code in the BIOS that must be recognized by the copy of Windows being restored. 

If it is a retail Windows disk then you can try using the COA product key from the sticker affixed to the case on your desktop, but his disk has to be for the same edition of Windows that is printed on the COA sticker.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:57 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You should be able to order recovery disks from the manufacturer for a fee.  If they are no longer in stock then use a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.

As for your friend's disk, if is an OEM disk it will only validate if he has the same make, model, and edition of Windows as you.  Your motherboard has a speific code in the BIOS that must be recognized by the copy of Windows being restored. 

If it is a retail Windows disk then you can try using the COA product key from the sticker affixed to the case on your desktop, but his disk has to be for the same edition of Windows that is printed on the COA sticker.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:57 AM
    Answerer
  • Well, the disc in question is also Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, retail. I guess if it doesn't work I'll have to pay $20 for a recovery disc. Mainly I'm wondering if it would be illegal to own a copy, without a genuine install disc. I have XP and Vista backups already because I prefer to put the originals away for safe keeping. Thank you for the response.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:10 AM
  • It isn't the disk, it is the license that is the issue.  Windows dvds are not copy protected and a user is permitted to make one copy.  But you must own the original for it to be legal to make the copy.  It you owned a damaged Windows 7 HP you could make a replacement copy from his but not if you don't own the same retail disk in the first place.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:49 AM