Move CRM DB to a SQL Server in a Parent Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We currently have a single server running CRM 4.0 and SQL server, this server lives in a child domain, let's call it child.domain.local.  Our users are finding CRM slow to use, we've noticed that the system is over worked, with most resources being tied up by SQL (not a big shock).  We have the option to move the SQL DB's to an underutilized SQL 2008 R2 Cluster, the process looks easy enough from what I've read (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934).  The one catch is that the SQL Server lives in the partent domain, domain.local, rather than in child.domain.local.  

One of our techs found a note in the CRM 2011 prerequisite that states "If Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011 and Microsoft SQL Server are installed on different computers, both computers must be in the same Active Directory directory service domain" and is now convinced this wont be possible.  I'm having a hard time believing that having the CRM server in a child domain and having the SQL Server in a parent domain would be an issue.

Would anyone have an insight here?

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:48 PM

Answers

• the SQL server and CRM server MUST be installed in the same domain, and it should be the same domain as the users are using for login to the network. So you tech-guy is right :)

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa
    Senior Consultant, EVRY as
    Blog: Notebook, trick & tips
    Please mark as answer or helpful if my post is useful

• Marked as answer by DL-Xylotek Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:21 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• the SQL server and CRM server MUST be installed in the same domain, and it should be the same domain as the users are using for login to the network. So you tech-guy is right :)

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

• Marked as answer by DL-Xylotek Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:21 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 3:56 PM

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why that is, but I believe you.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:21 PM

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why that is, defeats the point of AD and Child domains in my mind but what can you do.

Thanks for you input.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:23 PM