is it possible to force a record out of / into read only RRS feed

• Question

• We have added a number of fields to one of our solutions which we now want to populate for all records in our system. We a tool to update all those records from a little command line utility built using the SDK. Unfortunately a lot of the records in our system are marked as read only (inactive cases) is it possible to force those cases out of read only and later force them back into read only?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:08 PM

All replies

• The most straight forward way would be to alter you app so that is changes the status back to active, makes the update, and then returns it to inactive. 

This thread has the details: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/803150aa-0509-4672-aa9c-277de7ffb28c/update-a-closed-caseincident-in-crm-2011?forum=crm

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

If you're referencing only to Cases, yes it is possible to Reopen (make them editable again) those records, do your updates and mark them as Resolved/Closed (make them read-only) again. The Cases become read-only when they are marked as Resolved/Closed.

However, when you're reopening the Case, you'll need to fetch the status field which tells whether the Case was resolved or closed (they both mark it as read-only but they mean two different things from business point of view); because when you're done updating after reopening the case you'll want to make them resolved or closed based on what it was earlier. Reopening and closing the Cases might also have other impact on your related entities/business logic; so you might want to check those and do a analysis before going ahead with the solution.

I faced something similar in one of my Projects where I did something unsupported. The number of records were less and it were just 2 new text fields. So, I directly went into the database and updated the column values. But this is NOT recommended by Microsoft at all.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:48 PM
  • You cannot update inactive records in CRM. You will have to update the status of record to Active first then update the records and then deactivate them again. The only issue is Modified On date will be over written.

Regards Faisal

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:49 PM