none
How to Upgrade from 2.0 Beta on TWO different computers? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using SyncToy 2.0 Beta to backup and transfer files between two computers, and I would like to upgrade from SyncToy 2.0 Beta to SyncToy 2.0 on BOTH machines.

My usual backup procedure goes like this:

1)  Echo
    MachineA's C:\My Documents folder to MachineA's D:\ Backup Documents folder.
    2)  Echo MachineA's C:\
    My Documents folder to F:\Backup Documents folder on a removable USB thumb drive.

then, after moving the USB thumb drive from MachineA to MachineB,

3)  Echo the thumb drive's
    F:\Backup Documents folder to MachineB's C:\My Documents folder (thus synching the
    C:\My Documents folders between both machines).

then

4)  Echo MachineB's
    C:\My Documents folder to the G:\Backup Documents on an external hard drive attached to MachineB
    (for a separate backup).

Pretty typical I would think... Now, here's my question:

If I understand Microsoft's upgrade instructions, if I make sure that all files are completely in synch before and immediately after running the 2.0 setup package, then the files on MachineA's C and D drives and the thumb drive will all be correctly synchronized.

BUT, as the files on the THUMB DRIVE will now be synched "differently", with new metadata files, etc., then what do I need to do to upgrade SyncToy on MachineB ?

When the SyncToy setup is run on MachineB will the "new" files on the thumb drive be properly recognized and synched to MachineB?

Thanks!

Ken

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:12 AM

Answers

• All you have to do is that all the places where you want to have a copy of the same data have the same data before you upgrade. I.e. make sure that these locations are in sync (Machine A's  C: and D: locations, the thumbdrive, and Machine B's C: and G: locations) and then upgrade both machines. After the upgrade, sync once on Machine A (sync #s 1 and 2 above) and then sync once on Machine B (3 and 4 above). You should be good to go.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• All you have to do is that all the places where you want to have a copy of the same data have the same data before you upgrade. I.e. make sure that these locations are in sync (Machine A's  C: and D: locations, the thumbdrive, and Machine B's C: and G: locations) and then upgrade both machines. After the upgrade, sync once on Machine A (sync #s 1 and 2 above) and then sync once on Machine B (3 and 4 above). You should be good to go.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:46 PM
    Answerer
  • The upgrade worked perfectly on both machines.

The only "glitch" was that the program needed to overwrite about half of the files on the USB thumb drive during the first synch (as has been mentioned in other threads).

Otherwise, the initial synchs didn't take much longer than previous ones had (again, as I had been led to expect from reading previous threads).

Thanks, Ashish!

Ken
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:59 PM