Should I upgrade my Windows Home Server to Windows Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a license for Windows Server 2008, which I have never used, but I've been having some trouble with Windows Home Server.  I just got my WHS back from RMA and, before I get too much further, I was wondering if it would be worth my while to try and migrate it to Windows Server 2008.  It's a headless unit and I don't know what would be required to get WS2008 to install.  Is this even worth pursuing?
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:02 AM

All replies

• I would not advise making the attempt. Getting Windows Server 2008 installed is not going to be easy on a headless server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:14 PM
  • I was able to isolate what was causing the problem I've been having.  I bought a 3TB drive to put in my WHS.  When I put it in a USB enclosure, the WHS can see it.  When  I put it in the drive cage, it shows up in the disk management tool as uninitialized.  When I try to initialize it, it fails.

What are my options?

Thanks again

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Eventually get updated drivers for your mass storage controller and check, if an updated Bios is available for your hardware.

If that does not help, the hardware seems not to be capable to handle larger than 2 TB disks (btw. WHS v.1 also could use only 2 TB from that disk as part of the storage pool)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:20 AM