Want to make sure RRS feed

• Question

• I have now reinstalled WHS 4 times, each time after reading documantation until I'm blue in the face and THINKING I understand how this set up works.

So, now I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly before I reinstall again.

I currently have one 250GB HDD and a few much smaller drives, at first I installed the OS on a small 80GB drive thinking the 250GB drive would be storage, I was wrong. So after much reading and reinstalling this is how I think it works and what my best options are, let me know if this is right.

put only 250Gb drive in server and install OS on it, with only one drive I will not have any duplication or additional space over what is left over from the OS. So, about 210GB, give or take a Gig.

I'll be purchasing additional drives over the next few weeks, I dont see much point in using the several smaller drives I have so.....

When I add second drive, in lets say a week this will become the drive that duplication takes place on and will not increase my actual storage space correct? Big drive so that there is plenty of room for duplication.

Add 3rd drive a month from now, this drive will be added to existing storage space as well as any other drives added after this point correct? Another big drive.

Please let me know if I have the right idea, I've read until my eyes are crossed and near as I can tell this is how it should work.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:13 PM

Answers

• I can tell you how it worked for me. Smile

When I installed WHS, the only drive I had connected at the time was a 160 GB PATA unit. I had other drives installed, but they're attached to a hardware-accelerated RAID HBA (i.e. needs a driver just to see there's a drive there). At that time, I had a 10 GB system partition, and a 140+/- GB data partition. I put a few files out there, and they did the expected thing: reduced available disk space.

Then I installed the drivers for my RAID card, at which point I had a second "disk" with an apparent size of 340+/- GB (RAID 5, 4 x 120GB) available. I put more files out there, ran some backups, etc. If I remember correctly, WHS moved everything off of the primary data partition to the RAID array when I made it available. (Not because it was RAID, I'm sure, just because it was there.) All there was left on the primary data partition was tombstones and duplication. Backups and primary storage were now on the "340 GB disk".

I added an external USB disk of "300" (really shows 280-) GB. Duplication moved off of the primary data partition to the external disk, leaving only tombstones behind. Primary storage and backups are still on the RAID array.

As I added each disk, the total storage pool was increased by the size of the disk. So I went from 140 GB to 480 GB to 760 GB. Duplication uses up space in the pool, which is reflected in the pie chart on the storage tab in WHS Console, but it's not like a RAID 1 array, where you have two physical disks, but see the space of one disk. You see the total for all the disks, but files  that are duplicated occupy space at a 2-1 ratio.

Now, I have some theories about why that sequence of events occurred, particularly moving primary storage off the system disk. The system disk is the most heavily used disk in a Windows computer, so it's the most likely to fail. WHS is (among other things) designed to preserve data if at all possible, so getting primary data storage off the system disk has to be a priority. Adding a third disk makes it possible to get duplicates off the system disk as well, and further aids data integrity. Additional disks should, I think, result in further distribution of files to multiple disks, to minimize losses if any single disk fails.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:41 PM

All replies

• I can tell you how it worked for me. Smile

When I installed WHS, the only drive I had connected at the time was a 160 GB PATA unit. I had other drives installed, but they're attached to a hardware-accelerated RAID HBA (i.e. needs a driver just to see there's a drive there). At that time, I had a 10 GB system partition, and a 140+/- GB data partition. I put a few files out there, and they did the expected thing: reduced available disk space.

Then I installed the drivers for my RAID card, at which point I had a second "disk" with an apparent size of 340+/- GB (RAID 5, 4 x 120GB) available. I put more files out there, ran some backups, etc. If I remember correctly, WHS moved everything off of the primary data partition to the RAID array when I made it available. (Not because it was RAID, I'm sure, just because it was there.) All there was left on the primary data partition was tombstones and duplication. Backups and primary storage were now on the "340 GB disk".

I added an external USB disk of "300" (really shows 280-) GB. Duplication moved off of the primary data partition to the external disk, leaving only tombstones behind. Primary storage and backups are still on the RAID array.

As I added each disk, the total storage pool was increased by the size of the disk. So I went from 140 GB to 480 GB to 760 GB. Duplication uses up space in the pool, which is reflected in the pie chart on the storage tab in WHS Console, but it's not like a RAID 1 array, where you have two physical disks, but see the space of one disk. You see the total for all the disks, but files  that are duplicated occupy space at a 2-1 ratio.

Now, I have some theories about why that sequence of events occurred, particularly moving primary storage off the system disk. The system disk is the most heavily used disk in a Windows computer, so it's the most likely to fail. WHS is (among other things) designed to preserve data if at all possible, so getting primary data storage off the system disk has to be a priority. Adding a third disk makes it possible to get duplicates off the system disk as well, and further aids data integrity. Additional disks should, I think, result in further distribution of files to multiple disks, to minimize losses if any single disk fails.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I've had an XP machine set up as a server for a while, but WHS is an entirely different animal so its taking me a bit to wrap my head around it. I've played with all of the "out of the box" features like remote access to shared files and computers and got them to work flawlessly, if I can just get the storage issue sorted out and what my best options are I'll be set.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:06 PM