Internet connection question RRS feed

• Question

•  

My son has Windows Live OneCare installed on his laptop.  Every since he got to his campus dorm last week and use the internet line that the campus gave him to use for his laptop, he keeps getting a message that he doesn't have enough protection against anti viruses and spyware for his laptop when he goes onto the internet.  He wasn't getting that message when he used the verizon wireless usb modem that i bought for his laptop.  I thought that Windows Live One Care worked everywhere and protected his laptop.  I told him to just ignore the message since he was able to get on the internet using the cord that was given to him but now I worried.  Can someone help with this?  Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

• I just found your post in the Off Topic folder where you posted, hence the reason for the delayed reply. Your son's school is using a network program that detects security software on connected computers. That software apparently does not recognize OneCare as a valid program. Have your son contact the school's IT department, who will need to work with the vendor of their software to add OneCare to the list of allowed security programs.

When using the Verizon modem, he was not connected to the school network, therefore there was no detection taking place when connecting - he was connecting to Verizon.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:50 PM