Can someone explain the default backup retention values? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was looking at the default backup retention values “Windows Home Server Settings/Backup/Automatic Backup Management” and I noticed that everything defaults to “3”—three months for the monthlies, three weeks for the weeklies, and three days for the daily backups.

Now, I understand that I can change the values to what ever I want, but I was wonder why these values were chosen for the defaults. In particular, why would I not want to keep the weekly backups for at least a month and why would I not want to keep the daily backups for at least 7 days?

To me it seems like there could be a gap in coverage in case of a restore (I needed that file I saved 5 days ago, but the one from the weekly backup is too old…)

Thanks,

Jim

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:11 PM

Answers

• These defaults were set when we first started developing this feature. We had always intended to change this to something else, but always seemed to have other higher priority things to do.

We'll look into changing the defaults on another verision.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:32 AM

All replies

• You're right - it makes no sense - I changed mine to 3-5-7 - much like I'd keep a set of full/incremental backup tapes.  A bit of overkill, but better to be safe than sorry.  Meanwhile, back at the WHS RC,
    Monday, June 18, 2007 11:26 PM
  • These defaults were set when we first started developing this feature. We had always intended to change this to something else, but always seemed to have other higher priority things to do.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:32 AM
  •  DocGuy wrote:

These defaults were set when we first started developing this feature. We had always intended to change this to something else, but always seemed to have other higher priority things to do.

Thanks DocGuy for the feedback. I don't know if anyone there has thought about this, with shaking down RC1 and all, but perhaps a "Best Practices" can be published for some of these things so that those of us who care can tweak the various settings to something reasonable.

Thanks,

Jim

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I'm wondering about another thing I have observed on retention time. I have just installed the WHS and are using the default settings for backup management (3months, 3weeks, 3days and automatic management). I'm observing that there are more backups than I had expexted. There are complete backups for the 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 August. I would have expected to see one weekly and tree daily backups.

Can someone explain why I have backups for 7 consecutive days?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:56 PM
  • Clean-up runs on Sundays (IIRC), so the backups with the dates you gave won't all have been through the process yet.

Gordon

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:00 PM
  • So that means I will have 7 daily backups untill "cleaning day" (Sunday) -  I'm looking forward to see what the cleaning staff will do next Sunday :-)
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:32 PM