How to create a custom view on Currency? RRS feed

• Question

• We've added six currencies to our CRM system to cover the main currencies our customers work with.

However, when using Sales Order we only support USD & EUR as viable order currencies. The plan was to create a custom view in currencies and add a filer to only return USD or EUR and exclude the other four currencies. This view would then be linked to the currency lookup on the Sales Order form. Simples!

Having decided on this approach, I'm a little puzzled and surprised to find out that you cannot create views against currency! Does anybody know how to override the property settings to allow custom views on currency.

I don't know why MS would block this as this scenario I've explained above must be quite common.
    Can anybody advise?

Steve

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:19 PM

Answers

• Other than being MS Unsupported, is there any reason why I cannot do this to solve my problem?

update [DADCO_MSCRM].[MetadataSchema].[Entity]
    SET CanCreateViews = 1 where ObjectTypeCode = 9105 and CanCreateViews = 0;

This seems to allow me to create a new filtered view, but I don't know if the solution file will import the other side if I don't change the setting on the destination crm database.

• Marked as answer by lemonje Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:42 PM

All replies

• Other than being MS Unsupported, is there any reason why I cannot do this to solve my problem?

update [DADCO_MSCRM].[MetadataSchema].[Entity]
    SET CanCreateViews = 1 where ObjectTypeCode = 9105 and CanCreateViews = 0;

This seems to allow me to create a new filtered view, but I don't know if the solution file will import the other side if I don't change the setting on the destination crm database.

• Marked as answer by lemonje Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Hello Steve,

I had similar scenarios and we resolved our solution with including of prefiltering to lookups - https://www.magnetismsolutions.com/blog/nathaneccles/2013/09/30/crm-2013-javascript-lookup-filtering-using-addcustomfilter

But your question sounds reasonable so it would be great if you can create a suggestion here and I will vote for it.

Dynamics CRM/Business Solutions MVP
    Read My blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the feed-back. I've bookmarked your page in case I need to do something similar.

I'm going to stick with switching the "CanCreateViews" on, as once changed it only took 30 seconds to create a "Contract Currencies" view and wire it up. I'll suggest that MS don't need to be so over protective of system entities, especially when views are being used which are benign.

Despite my initial frustration, its fantastic that CRM can be adapted in this way with a flick of a switch.

• Edited by lemonje Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:34 AM grammer
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:26 PM