Printer Sharing issues RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone been able to share a WHS printer with a MAC running OS X?  I have no problem sharing a printer with other WinXP computers.  I can locate the server however the shared printer does not show up.  File Sharing works fine.  My MAC does share a printer through my WinXP computers.

Also, for some reason WHS will not recognize my Canon s9000 printer.  My WinXP computers will recognize it.  Are there certain printer WHS will not install?

Thanks

Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:26 AM

Answers

• Thanks.  I did try loading the driver however it needs to locate the printer during the installation.  I did find a workaround for the Mac sharing issue.  By holding the option key down while adding additional printers you can get to an advanced tab that lets you manually configure the printer via SMB.  Works great.  Check out the help system for instructions.

-Steve

Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:48 AM

All replies

• Regarding the second question, the printer has to be compatible with Windows Server 2003, if it is not then you cant use the printer with WHS.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Driver support is limited in the WHS beta, Steve. I would try installing the printer driver for Windows 2000/XP on WHS. You can download it from the Canon site.

Let us know if it works!
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Thanks.  I did try loading the driver however it needs to locate the printer during the installation.  I did find a workaround for the Mac sharing issue.  By holding the option key down while adding additional printers you can get to an advanced tab that lets you manually configure the printer via SMB.  Works great.  Check out the help system for instructions.

-Steve

Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:48 AM
  •  Steve335 wrote:
    Thanks.  I did try loading the driver however it needs to locate the printer during the installation.  I did find a workaround for the Mac sharing issue.  By holding the option key down while adding additional printers you can get to an advanced tab that lets you manually configure the printer via SMB.  Works great.  Check out the help system for instructions.

-Steve

I have tried this and it wont work for me. I have an HP PSC1209. I did the Windows Share option where i entered a username and i also did the Advanced share where you enter ???user@password:server ??? a fake printer icon will show up and my print jobs will fail. This printer was originally connected to my mac but its now on the server. I also tried GimpPrint and adding the unix and apple print options from Windows Services. When i did the Apple services, the printer showed up in Appletalk but then it said something about 'account downlevel rights' i think.

Any ideas anyone?

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:49 PM