none
Data Compression RRS feed

• Question

• If data were sent already compressed to a USB Drive with current drives being able to transmit at 10 GB/s would you technically be getting a faster transfer?
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI J-C123,

What is exaclty want achieve ?There is no clear what you want ..

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:25 PM
  • Page and row compression reduces memory footprint in cache for the same data in addition to storage requirements. Consequently, less data overall needs to be transferred to/from storage and more data will be memory resident.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:46 PM
  • Hi J-C123,

I don’t see how the question relates to SQL Server, could you please elaborate more?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 15, 2018 2:45 AM
  • Sorry, new to forum....didn't know that I was posting in the wrong place.  Can this post be moved to the right place? 
    Monday, January 15, 2018 3:37 AM
  • Dan, can you put that in laymen's terms?  What I am trying to understand is if data were compressed  before you sent it to a USB drive which transmits data at 10 GB/s then would you get a faster transfer rate.  Also,  if a USB drive transmits data at 10 GB/s and a thunderbolt port at 20 GB/s, how is this achieved with a hard drive that has a read/write speed of only 100 MB/s?  Does the data go through RAM?  Just a beginner trying to understand.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 3:41 AM
  • I'd ask for help over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

We cannot move since answers.microsoft.com is a different platform.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:50 AM
  • Good day J-C123,

Dan gave you an answer assuming that you are talking about data in SQL Server since you posted the question originally in SQL Server forum. It is not clear to me if you are talking about SQL Server compression or something else.

In general, data can written to a disk not faster then the disk ability. If the dist is limited to 10 GB/S then this is the upper limitation. If the compression process + managing the data is faster then theoretically this will be the speed, but if the compression is slower then the speed will be according to the compression speed.

If your question related to SQL Server then please clarify what exactly you do. If this is relevant to Windows compression then please use the link that Dave gave you and post the question there (and don't forget to close the thread by marking the answer(s) 

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Monday, January 15, 2018 11:31 AM