Activation in Europe for a product bought in Canada RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    Some time ago i bought a Windows XP install disk. I used the product until recently when I switched to Windows 7.
    I want to send the old WinXP disk in Europe to one of my relatives but I'm a little concerned about the activation.
    A MIcrosoft product bought in Canada can be activated in Europe or not?
    I don't want to ship it for nothing.
    Thank you

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi barbonero,

As long as the XP is a Retail version, I'm 99% sure there should be no problem with Activating the Canadian XP in Europe. (unfortunatly, I can't get in touch with my Product Activation contact to get it confirmed 100%)  

The person should just be able to Activate over the Internet but it they have any problems, (some sort of error or something) they would just need to Activate by Phone, select the option to talk to a Live Activation Rep (or if no option, don't enter any numbers and that should force the Phone Prompt to transfer to a Live Activation Rep).  Explain the situation to the Rep and, if needed, he/she should be able to provide an Activation Override to get the XP Activated. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:20 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi barbonero,

As long as the XP is a Retail version, I'm 99% sure there should be no problem with Activating the Canadian XP in Europe. (unfortunatly, I can't get in touch with my Product Activation contact to get it confirmed 100%)  

The person should just be able to Activate over the Internet but it they have any problems, (some sort of error or something) they would just need to Activate by Phone, select the option to talk to a Live Activation Rep (or if no option, don't enter any numbers and that should force the Phone Prompt to transfer to a Live Activation Rep).  Explain the situation to the Rep and, if needed, he/she should be able to provide an Activation Override to get the XP Activated. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:20 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Thx Darin,
    I think that too. it doesn't make any sense not to be able to activate it just because you are living on a different continent.
    yes, the version is a genuine one. i didn't have any issues activating it here, in Canada.
    The only thing I'm concerned is  Microsoft database will show that product was already activated in canada(based probably on the IP address, i'm guesing) and the next request will come from Romania. It might think that this is an unlegitimate request.
    We'll see.
    i know that Microsoft has support centre in Romania too. My relative doesn't speak English at all. LOL

For Those About To Rock I Salute You
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:22 PM