quick and easy - will this oold video card be ok? RRS feed

• Question

• I know WHS is designed to run headless and for that reason I figure almost any video card will work. Rather than buying even a bargain-priced new card I would like to recycle an ancient part that was gathering dust: A Diamond Stealth 64 based on the S3 Trio64 (B0C2AA) PCI interface. It's got 2MB memory on board, is there any minimum for the video memory or any other reason ths card might not work?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:51 PM

All replies

• As long as there is a windows 2003 driver for it you should be good to go.

Andrew

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Oh, hmm. Would I need to find an actual separate driver or are they built in to the installation? I know with various XP flavors certain video cards have built in drivers and of course there's the 'standard VGA' driver. I guess I will hunt for that. So is setting up WHS somewhat similar to XP where you have to do the install, then set up all the hard ware drivers that aren't autoinstalled (device manager shows '?')

*eidt* hmm some quick searching didn't turn up any 2003 server drivers.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:26 PM
  • you would need the 2003 drivers to get proper functionality. that being said, plug it in, try it, you may only get basic video display but if thats all you need you can probably live it - I did for a while during the beta.

Andrew

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Since you're not supposed to use a WHS directly anyway does having more than basic funtionality even matter?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Not really. I just used to look around the machine rather than usin the WHS Console, although I used the console to do everything I was supposed to.

I would think you would be ok if thats all you want to do.

Andrew

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I have a video card installed in one of my WHS devices that has no drivers installed for it. Not a problem...
    Friday, October 26, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Ok. I don't believe there is a VRAM minimum in the system requirements so sounds like it will probably be fine.

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Oh yea, just to confirm this, the video card can be pulled as long as the mobo will boot without it once the install is complete right? Might as well save every bit of power possible for something that's going to be on 24/7.

Friday, November 2, 2007 2:54 AM
  • If you can configure the motherboard to boot without a video adapter present, then yes, WHS can run in that configuration.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 3:54 AM