XP Functionality Question RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have been declining to install WGA on a regular basis, as I'm uncomfortable with the concept.

However, now I notice when I browse to the WU site I'm not able to move past the "Download and install now" section without installing:

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

I can see from the update history that security hotfixes are being installed. (I have AU set for 'download but let me choose when to install')

However, am I now precluded from obtaining software bug fixes until WGAVT is installed?

Please note that I have a valid copy of Windows XP pro, OEM version.

Please note also that I checked the FAQ and could not find an answer to my question.

Regards,

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:55 PM

Answers

• Windows Genuine Advantage Validation is required for all Windows Updates. KB905474 (Win Gen Adv Notifications) is optional at this current time.

-phil

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:59 PM

All replies

• Windows Genuine Advantage Validation is required for all Windows Updates. KB905474 (Win Gen Adv Notifications) is optional at this current time.

-phil

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:59 PM
  • Frosty,

In return for participating in the Windows Genuine Advantage program, MS makes Windows/Microsoft Updates available to its valued participating customers.  Windows/Microsoft Updates allows users of Genuine Micrososft software to manually download and install all sorts of non-security related, less-than-critical updates for software, as well as updated drivers.

If you decline participation in the Windows Genuine Advanatge program, you are still entitled to receive critical security-related updates thru the Automatic Updates mechanism, as you are doing now.

I hope this directly answers your question.

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:01 PM