Can I use my OEM CD after a motherboard fault? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

This has been driving me insane as it's very difficult to find other people with the same situation who've posted it on forums etc. I just need to hear from a professional at Microsoft answer my question.

I have a legitimate OEM version of Windows XP Professional on my PC, and I have the disc used to install it in my possession and the CD key, but the motherboard inside the PC recently failed. This disc is NOT the manufacturer's disc, it's a System Builder/OEM Disc I believe. The holographic one, which states "This disc should only be used on a new PC..."

I know that optimally replacing the motherboard with the exact same one would allow me to continue without a reinstall, but I think it's been discontinued. I have therefore bought another from a website, which is here with me now. It's not for upgrading reasons, it's because I need to use my computer and I can't with a faulty motherboard!

If I install this new motherboard, will I be able to boot from this CD, install windows either cleanly (or repair install) and re-activate?

Thanks in advance. Please help, this is driving me nuts.

Alex
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Alex,

Yes, if you are replacing the motherboard due to a failure you will be able to use your currently licensed copy of Windows XP, even though you are not able to replace it with the identical motherboard.  You will be forced to do a telephone activation and the automated system may not allow you to obtain a new activation key, you will need to press the option to speak to a live representative and explain you replaced the motherboard due to a failure and they will issue you a new activation code.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Hello Alex,

As long as you are using the same media that was provided with your product key you should not have any issues with the product key when you install Windows.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Alex,

Yes, if you are replacing the motherboard due to a failure you will be able to use your currently licensed copy of Windows XP, even though you are not able to replace it with the identical motherboard.  You will be forced to do a telephone activation and the automated system may not allow you to obtain a new activation key, you will need to press the option to speak to a live representative and explain you replaced the motherboard due to a failure and they will issue you a new activation code.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Thank you so much for the fast reply. Finally a bit of relief!

I will let you know if it doesn't go well.

Thanks again!

Alex
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:40 PM
  • I have one more concern -- will the Product Key required for installation still be valid? I know I will need another activation key, but I'm wondering if the Product Key needed to actually *install* the OS will still be valid to input into the process.

Thanks again

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Hello Alex,

As long as you are using the same media that was provided with your product key you should not have any issues with the product key when you install Windows.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Thanks for the fast reply!

Excellent -- good to hear. Just didn't want to go reinstalling and formatting only to find that the Product Key no longer works.

But great news, thanks a lot for your help, I will notify you of any further problems.

Alex
    Friday, February 1, 2008 12:17 AM