none
WHS remote access not working RRS feed

• Question

• I had remote access before doing a recovery (HPex470 whs upgrade v3.0 w/patch1 + all the MS updates).  correct ports are open, I tried turning off UpnP and manually setting ports with the same result.  rebooted router (linksys running DDRT).  I even tried setting DMZ to the server so I know its not a router issue.

when I run the repair process at the WHS console for remote access it fails with the following at the last screen: "a local web server or firewall issue may have occured. please contact tech support"

Ive turned of the WHS firewall, same result.

Ran the MS WHS connector troubleshooter got this result:

Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services

The server internal secure Web services use TCP port 56000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router.
      they are on the same router
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server.
      it is running, and responds to inside/outside requests at  xxxxx.homeserver.com, but wont let me login
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS.
      it is
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site".
      this is a fresh restore, never installed a certificate
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall.
      turned off firewall all together just to try and make this work

I did a second restore just to make sure the installation didnt fail on something, same results as the first one.

Ive had this system running for almost two years with no issues and full remote access... same router/ISP.  CHecked the ports with shields up too.. just to make sure ISP didnt start blocking something... everything checks out.

Friday, April 2, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• I had the exact problem you describe. I searched all over in an attempt to find a solution. Finally I tried removing the domain name in WHS-Console>Settings. I then used WHS-Console>Settings>Configure to add the domain name. I now have remote access back.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• I had remote access before doing a recovery (HPex470 whs upgrade v3.0 w/patch1 + all the MS updates).  correct ports are open, I tried turning off UpnP and manually setting ports with the same result.  rebooted router (linksys running DDRT).  I even tried setting DMZ to the server so I know its not a router issue.

when I run the repair process at the WHS console for remote access it fails with the following at the last screen: "a local web server or firewall issue may have occured. please contact tech support"

Ive turned of the WHS firewall, same result.

Ran the MS WHS connector troubleshooter got this result:

Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services

The server internal secure Web services use TCP port 56000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router.
      they are on the same router
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server.
      it is running, and responds to inside/outside requests at  xxxxx.homeserver.com, but wont let me login
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS.
      it is
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site".
      this is a fresh restore, never installed a certificate
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall.
      turned off firewall all together just to try and make this work

I did a second restore just to make sure the installation didnt fail on something, same results as the first one.

Ive had this system running for almost two years with no issues and full remote access... same router/ISP.  CHecked the ports with shields up too.. just to make sure ISP didnt start blocking something... everything checks out. 

What were the results of Shields Up!?  Why did you need to do a Recovery in the first place?
    Friday, April 2, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Shields up has 80 and 443 open, 4125 stealth. 

I think the problem is more along the lines with WHS web serverices.  Internallay.  if i open the server inside at https://192.168.1.100 i get the standard IE cannot display the web page, if i open http://192.168.1.100 i get the " welcome screen HP mediasmart server web site", but if i select the "log on" button i get the "IE cannot display the web page"

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Seems like an error with IIS, it's not bound to port 443 correctly

I don't know if you want to mess with IIS, but may try deactivating the web access page and reactivating it

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:42 PM
  • stopped and started both default website 80/443 and WHS website 55000/56000. same thing. 
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:40 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. Any luck?
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:59 AM
  • I had the exact problem you describe. I searched all over in an attempt to find a solution. Finally I tried removing the domain name in WHS-Console>Settings. I then used WHS-Console>Settings>Configure to add the domain name. I now have remote access back.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:11 PM
  • tominil... you rock, I owe you a beer... ____ a case.  Two reinstalls... ms support, post on we got seved.. nothing.  thanks!

Removed the xxxxxx.homeserver.com under remote access at WHS console, and imediately replaced it... everything started working again 100%... even got my iphone HP mediasmart client working. 

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi tominil,

I am having the exact issue. But I don't understand where you can change the domain since I have re-image my WHS.

1) http to my WHS on WHS (my WHS is an Acer H340 and I have a video cable so I can console in)

2) click on WHS icon then click on Login, I get the can't display page error message as described by others in previous posts

(BTW: when I tried to issue static IP address in "IP Configuration" in WHS console, it does not register the configuration. However, the system takes my config since I can confirm it with ipconfig output)

Everything works before. Then I had to re-image my WHS, then this is not working and TiVo desktop is not work either. It's frustrating.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:51 PM