Image corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I recently have been noticing a few corrupt images that are stored on my WHS, and I just got back from a week long vacation during which i took hundreds of pictures. I got home and transferred all of the images to my WHS. Afterwards, I went to view the files and at LEAST 75% of my photos were corrupt permanently. I am using Windows 7 RTM 64-bit, as well as Vista 32-bit and experience the same problem with both. The images are fine when they are stored locally, but as soon as I move them to the WHS they become corrupted. This happens with JPG as well as Canon RAW images. I lost all of my vacation photos, but in testing, everytime I transfer photos from my PC to my WHS they become corrupt. This has only been a recent problem. I have been transferring photos to my WHS for over a year with no problems. All photos already stored on the WHS seem fine, its only images that I transfer now that become corrupt. Anyone else seen this or know of a solution? This problem has destroyed a weeks worth of family vacation memories already, and is putting 5 years of photographs at risk.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:13 PM

All replies

• I recently have been noticing a few corrupt images that are stored on my WHS, and I just got back from a week long vacation during which i took hundreds of pictures. I got home and transferred all of the images to my WHS. Afterwards, I went to view the files and at LEAST 75% of my photos were corrupt permanently. I am using Windows 7 RTM 64-bit, as well as Vista 32-bit and experience the same problem with both. The images are fine when they are stored locally, but as soon as I move them to the WHS they become corrupted. This happens with JPG as well as Canon RAW images. I lost all of my vacation photos, but in testing, everytime I transfer photos from my PC to my WHS they become corrupt. This has only been a recent problem. I have been transferring photos to my WHS for over a year with no problems. All photos already stored on the WHS seem fine, its only images that I transfer now that become corrupt. Anyone else seen this or know of a solution? This problem has destroyed a weeks worth of family vacation memories already, and is putting 5 years of photographs at risk.

First thing I would recommend (if you don't already have a backup of those pictures on a USB drive) is shut down the server, disconnect each drive from your server, and backup everything you can (especially the irreplaceable stuff, such as photos).  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details on how to do that (even though it's not your situation, the same steps apply).

What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?  Have you been getting any warnings/critical alerts in the Console about a failing hard drive?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server?  (See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.)  Is this a pre-built server or a DIY?  Did you recently install any add-ins or apps on your server?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Ok so I am running chkdsk and it seems to be stuck on stage 4 around 25%. My guess would be that one of the two hard drives is faulty, but now how do I tell which one it is that is faulty? It's stuck on the DATA (D:) drive chkdsk, which means that partition is actually spanned across two drives. And this is a DIY server of mine. I have a third drive that I manually mirror my DATA with because I dont trust WHS file duplication so I all my current data is protected and backed up. I just need to find out 1.) If this is actually a failing drive problem, and 2.) which drive it is that is failing.

EDIT: It seems I spoke too soon. Chkdsk actually completed successfully with no errors or bad sectors or anything returned. Everything seemed fine. So now what?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Ok so I am running chkdsk and it seems to be stuck on stage 4 around 25%. My guess would be that one of the two hard drives is faulty, but now how do I tell which one it is that is faulty? It's stuck on the DATA (D:) drive chkdsk, which means that partition is actually spanned across two drives. And this is a DIY server of mine. I have a third drive that I manually mirror my DATA with because I dont trust WHS file duplication so I all my current data is protected and backed up. I just need to find out 1.) If this is actually a failing drive problem, and 2.) which drive it is that is failing.

EDIT: It seems I spoke too soon. Chkdsk actually completed successfully with no errors or bad sectors or anything returned. Everything seemed fine. So now what?

You looked at the event logs on the server to make sure there were no errors with chkdsk?  What about the other questions I asked before?  In addition, exactly how are you "manually mirroring your DATA"?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Yes I looked in the event log and there were no errors. My WHS is up to date. My component numbers are as follows:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

There were no errors/messages in the console about a failing hard drive or I would not be asking what the problem might be. And no I did not recently install any add-ins or apps.

And I am "manually mirroring my DATA" by using synctoy to copy everything from the DATA partition to a separate hard drive that I have not added to the WHS pool on a nightly basis. And before you say synctoy is the problem, or what I am doing is wrong, the file corruption happens immediately after file transfer which means synctoy has not even touched the files yet because it only runs once at midnight.

So, any suggestions?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Yes I looked in the event log and there were no errors. My WHS is up to date. My component numbers are as follows:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

There were no errors/messages in the console about a failing hard drive or I would not be asking what the problem might be. And no I did not recently install any add-ins or apps.

And I am "manually mirroring my DATA" by using synctoy to copy everything from the DATA partition to a separate hard drive that I have not added to the WHS pool on a nightly basis. And before you say synctoy is the problem, or what I am doing is wrong, the file corruption happens immediately after file transfer which means synctoy has not even touched the files yet because it only runs once at midnight.

So, any suggestions?

I wasn't going to say SyncToy is the problem (although the way you're copying files from D:\shares is not supported).  You should use the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]) instead.

As for the corruption, have you tried other file types?  Have you tried other shares?  What add-ins and apps do you have installed on the server?  Do you have any idea when the problem started?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I do use the UNC path with SyncToy and I have not done any testing with other file types because photos are the main reason I have a WHS. I don't have much other stuff to test it with. I did transfer a good sized video to the server and then watched it and it seemed to work fine, but that was only one file. When I copy pictures I am copying hundreds at a time.

Have I tried other shares? I assume by that you mean did I use a different folder besides the "Photos" folder, and the answer to that would be no. Don't see much point in that, but maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

I have Whiist and the toolbox add-ins installed. I have hamachi and iTunes installed on the server as well, but have never used iTunes (was experimenting with something at the time) and hamachi would not be the problem. I have been using it for about a year now. I am pretty sure the problem started sometime in early June because I remember seeing one or two corrupt photos after a transfer, but it was no big deal at the time. Then I saw it again in my 4th of July photos, but I just re-transferred and after a try or two everything came out alright. I know im an idiot for transferring all of my vacation photos after that, but I forgot about the problem because it was intermittent. Now it happens every time I transfer large amounts of photos.

I am transferring a couple of hours of recorded tv to the WHS right now, but dont really know how to test if it is working or not without sitting through every minute of the video and watch for corruption (which im not going to do, i dont have that kind of time)

EDIT: I started watching the first few minutes of that recorded TV and yes there is intermittent corruption in the video. Not severe, but corruption indeed.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:53 AM
  • No errors from chkdsk. No errors from memtest. Anyone have a solution as to why WHS is corrupting my files when I transfer them?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:35 PM
  • No errors from chkdsk. No errors from memtest. Anyone have a solution as to why WHS is corrupting my files when I transfer them?

I still think it has to be some sort of hardware issue (data cables and/or power cables perhaps).  You said before "Now it happens every time I transfer large amounts of photos".  What about small amounts (i.e. 5)?  Also, although this is unsupported, have you logged into the server desktop to see if all of the corrupted files are on the same physical hard drive?  You can see the actual files by going to D:\DE\shares or C:\fs\x\DE\shares (where x is a random letter or number).  NOTE:  Do not make any changes to any files or folders while you are looking through the paths I provided as it will have dire consequences.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Yeah it seems that all the files that became corrupt are all stored on the C:\ drive under that directory. So running with the assumption this is being caused by a bad drive, would that mean it would be the drive with the SYS partition on it that is failing?

I tried copying a large number of files from my backup drive directly to root directory of the SYS partition to see if those images became corrupt, and they all seemed fine as far as I could tell. Which is strange because if it is that drive that is failing, then me copying files directly to it (as opposed to over the network) should produce the same sort of corruption.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Yeah it seems that all the files that became corrupt are all stored on the C:\ drive under that directory. So running with the assumption this is being caused by a bad drive, would that mean it would be the drive with the SYS partition on it that is failing?

Actually, that path leads to your secondary drive (the random letter is a mount point, not a folder).  So in that case, it would seem to be your secondary drive might be the culprit.
    I tried copying a large number of files from my backup drive directly to root directory of the SYS partition to see if those images became corrupt, and they all seemed fine as far as I could tell. Which is strange because if it is that drive that is failing, then me copying files directly to it (as opposed to over the network) should produce the same sort of corruption.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Well that's a whole lot of not cool. That is my newest drive in the system. Not even a year old drive. That drive is barely even 6 months old. Well I'll keep looking for errors in the hardware, but would still love some more suggestions because I have not found the problem yet.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Well that's a whole lot of not cool. That is my newest drive in the system. Not even a year old drive. That drive is barely even 6 months old. Well I'll keep looking for errors in the hardware, but would still love some more suggestions because I have not found the problem yet.

One other question:  when you ran chkdsk, did you run it on that drive, either by using the link I provided before, or by doing it yourself using chkdsk c:\fs\x /r?  (I'm asking because if you just did chkdsk c: /r, you didn't run chkdsk on your secondary drive.)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I originally ran it with the batch file from that link, and I also ran it with chkdsk c:\fs\E /r just to make sure. When I did it manually, chkdsk ran exceptionally slow but it did complete with no errors. Been trying to run diagnostics on the drive with samsungs utility, but I cant even get that to work. It either just cr.ashes the system, or gives me an error saying the drive is not ready. I'm stumped, and very upset.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Do you run any kind of disk defragmenter? 
    I have experienced loss of some metadata from jpg-images when running PerfecDisk for WHS. Fortunately I had a bacup copy on another disk.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Nope. I dont run any kind of disk defragmenter. Which is fortunate because if it really is a bad drive, a defrag might be disastrous as it tries to move all that information around. Dont even like to thank about that.

Some good news, I recovered a handful of the photos from the CF card i used by purchasing a 40 dollar piece of software, but still lost lots. 
    Some bad news, I still dont know what is corrupting my photos and dont have the money to just buy a replacement HD and RAM for the heck of it. Broke college student.

EDIT: " Dont even like to thank about that. " Sorry, im from East Texas. Sometimes my accent comes out in my typing lol
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:36 PM
  • This is unbelievably frustrating. I have been transferring photos like crazy (locally on the WHS and over the network) to see if I can pinpoint where the problem is coming from and now I can't get one single bit of corruption in anything I transfer. Which may sound good, like the problem is fixed, but its not. This just means the next time I go to transfer some important photos to the WHS it will decide to start acting up again. (I wont make the mistake of not keeping a copy elsewhere this time though). I have been transferring files to the suspected HD both from the local machine, as well as it to it from the network and it is not corrupting anything anymore.

It seems everyone is as stumped as I am, but ill ask one more time. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Honestly, it sounds to me like some piece of software (I don't see anything about how you're transferring the files) is messing with the files on your server. But I don't know what that would be.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:13 PM