System Partition Size RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a drive fail, so I deleted all files in the shared folders and left a couple of empty directories.  I also removed a small good drive.  There were no computer backups.  I just installed 2 new drives and now I'm seeing the System partition is 57GB.  Isn't it suppose to be 20?  I have another Server and it is showing 21GB.  Both are HP's.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:24 PM

Answers

• All kinds of stuff might be. Since you have an HP, probably it's data files for the extra applications HP has included. Do you use those applications (especially the photo web share) on one server but not the other?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,
    do you mean the system volume or what is shown in the console as system?
    The later changed with Power Pack 1 - that section is now including all files and folders, which are not part of either WHS Shared Folders or Client Backups.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hi Olaf, that size is shown in the console.  I just checked with disk management and it is a 20gig partition.  So seeing 57GB in the console is ok now with PP1?

Thanks
    Kevin

Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:30 AM
  • That's correct. The "system" wedge of the pie chart is all used disk space that's not part of the shares or backup database.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Thanks Ken.  Now I'm wondering what is taking up the approx. 37GB of extra space.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:38 AM
  • All kinds of stuff might be. Since you have an HP, probably it's data files for the extra applications HP has included. Do you use those applications (especially the photo web share) on one server but not the other?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Also swap file, hibernate file and Volume Shadow copies count in here, if your machine uses these features.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Olaf, of the three, only shadow copies will count. The other two will be on the C: partition, which is 20 GB of the space used by "system". (Whether it's actually all used or not.) On the HP units, shadows copies are also turned off, unless a user turns them on.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

All kinds of stuff might be. Since you have an HP, probably it's data files for the extra applications HP has included. Do you use those applications (especially the photo web share) on one server but not the other?

The Server with the large System has a trial of Avast Anti-virus and the PV Connect Add-in running.  The one with the smaller System has Jungle Disk running.  That is the only differences.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:25 PM
  • If I recall correctly, PVConnect uses some kind of database.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:01 PM