New CRM Server Name is Needed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're currently using CRM 3.0 and is looking to move our CRM server to a brand new server and in addition to upgrade it to CRM 4.0. Our SQL server stays the same.

I was advised to install CRM 3.0 on that new server first, redeploy CRM and connect to existing database, then upgrade it to CRM 4.0. According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934 this is what we're going to do (please correct me if I miss something):

1. Install new instance of CRM  in the new server
    2. Type the name of the SQL Server on which the MSCRM_Config database exists in the Select Deployment Options dialog box, and then click Connect to an Existing Deployment .
    3. Uninstall the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server or the server role from the old Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server.
    4. Uninstall old CRM server on the old server
    5. And finally, upgrade to CRM 4.0
    However my question here, since the old CRM server will still exist while we're creating a new CRM instance in the new server, is it recommended to use a new CRM server or can we just use the existing one? Will this create any confusion to the CRM database?

Thanks for your assistance, greatly appreciate it!

-Elizabeth K.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I would also advice you to do so in new CRM Server without touching the existing server,as there might be chances that you may run into trouble upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0.

It would be always safe to have a backup server at place before making new server work.

Also the steps which you mentioned is absolutely correct to migrate CRM to other server using same sql server.But be sure that you have all the backups in place before you start working on any upgradation.

Thanks,

Arif

Mohammed Arif
    • Marked as answer by kurobenko Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I would also advice you to do so in new CRM Server without touching the existing server,as there might be chances that you may run into trouble upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0.

It would be always safe to have a backup server at place before making new server work.

Also the steps which you mentioned is absolutely correct to migrate CRM to other server using same sql server.But be sure that you have all the backups in place before you start working on any upgradation.

Thanks,

Arif

Mohammed Arif
    • Marked as answer by kurobenko Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Arif thanks for the reply.

Yes I also think that's a good practice. Thanks for the advice.

-Elizabeth
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:35 PM