CRM 3.0 email disappearing ... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with a CRM 3.0 deployment for about a week now, and I've solved most of the hurdles that have come up but this one is just killing me, and it's probably something simple, so any help is appreciated.

Small Business Server 2003 with SQL 2005 Workgroup.  I've got most of the CRM working, and setup an email address and accound up during the install for email to be picked up from.  Now my problem is when an email gets sent to that email address, it get's picked up.  I dunno what happens after that because it just disappears.   I can send email to that address and watch it show up in the mailbox and then disappear.  Even messages that have been initiated through the CRM for tracking, get replied to and show up in the mailbox, and then disappear!  Now I know the application is doing something with them but I cannot for the life of me figure out what.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've tried logging on as the initial admin user created, and also as a user I created with full role permissions to everything.  I've checked email support queue, and just about everywhere else I can look with both accounts and cannot see what is happening to the email coming in.  I've also tried the option converting to email activities for only CRM tagged email, and all incoming email with the same above results.  CRM noobie, here.  Thanks for any insight!

Mike
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:54 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM uses an email router component. This relies on a mailbox. The idea is that when an email is sent to a crm users mailbox, a rule on their mailbox forwards the email as an attachment to the crm mailbox. The router component monitors that single mailbox and forwards the email to to CRM if necessary.

At this point create a contact in crm and for the email give it your hotmail address. Then from the crm web client and the new contact send an email. This email should then appear in your hotmail mailbox. Respond to the mail and then it should go into your work email, be forward to the crm mailbox which will then add it to the crm contact activity history.

Also check out your servers event logs to see if there are any errors relating to CRM email problems.

=================================

John O'Donnell

Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist

http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde

mscrmaxisv@googlegroups.com

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:06 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM uses an email router component. This relies on a mailbox. The idea is that when an email is sent to a crm users mailbox, a rule on their mailbox forwards the email as an attachment to the crm mailbox. The router component monitors that single mailbox and forwards the email to to CRM if necessary.

At this point create a contact in crm and for the email give it your hotmail address. Then from the crm web client and the new contact send an email. This email should then appear in your hotmail mailbox. Respond to the mail and then it should go into your work email, be forward to the crm mailbox which will then add it to the crm contact activity history.

Also check out your servers event logs to see if there are any errors relating to CRM email problems.

=================================

John O'Donnell

Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist

http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde

mscrmaxisv@googlegroups.com

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Thank you so much!  That makes sense now that you explained it, and I did what you suggested and it worked just like you explained.  I had setup the main support email to be the email box that all info and support requests come into and I think what I need to do is setup a CRM box, and then create a rule on the main support mailbox to forward as attachment to the CRM address.  Thank you again!

One thing I did notice now that these actually came in as activities, it automatically sets the status to completed, and I have to view "All Activities" for them to show up, is that normal for a new message getting forwarded on set to completed?

Mike

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:48 PM