Windows live custom domains and port forwarding on your router failed! RRS feed

• Question

• It says remote access is available, But "verifying your internet connection to windows live" failed I DO HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION because I can visit plenty other websites with no problem, although all microsoft and windows live sites like this one seem to be very slow. Also "Verifying port forewarding on your router failed" This too is coming up............Just wanting to know if anyone else has noticed these problems as I cant seem to find any other recent references to this anywhere here, This happens alot to me but it seems to resolve itself in a day or do and is normally on microsofts end but this has been goping on for days now and I was beginning to wonder if its something else. NO I HAVENT MADE ANY SYSTEM OR ROUTER CHANGES BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER this happened......Any help would be appreciated Thank you
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:47 PM

Answers

• Well whatever the problem was went away on its own today while I was at work so I'll just assume it was on microsofts end again and I'll mark this thread as solved, seeing how I didnt do anything and the problem magically fixed itself......LOL
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 PM

All replies

• It's possibly an issue with your broadband connection.  Sometimes live is down but it's usually advertised or noted and it's rarely happens (a few times a year I would say).

Do you know anyone else who has the same ISP as you? Perhaps you can compare notes.  What country are you located in - some countries have transparant proxies or filtering for some sites including live - the tell tale is if facebook, myspace and youtube also playup.

Perhaps you have not made any changes but have you had your windows home server powered off for more than a few days?  It's possible it now has a different IP address allocated by DHCP from your router (also known as dynamic IP address) and the old settings are still in your router.  Perhaps if you go through the setup or remote access this will sort it out.

Also have you had any new additions to your network?

Back to the router have you tried powering it off for 10 seconds and powering it back on.  If this is the cure you might consider looking up your router to see if there are any firmware upgrades that might fix the problem or running out of network connections or handling UPNP.

--
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:28 PM
  • It's possibly an issue with your broadband connection.  Sometimes live is down but it's usually advertised or noted and it's rarely happens (a few times a year I would say).

Do you know anyone else who has the same ISP as you? Perhaps you can compare notes.  What country are you located in - some countries have transparant proxies or filtering for some sites including live - the tell tale is if facebook, myspace and youtube also playup.

I have a few friends that have the same ISP but I have a PUBLIC STATIC IP for this reason (WHS) I have been running WHS for a couple of years now without any signifigant problems.

Perhaps you have not made any changes but have you had your windows home server powered off for more than a few days?

NO, Always on and on UPS

It's possible it now has a different IP address allocated by DHCP from your router (also known as dynamic IP address) and the old settings are still in your router.  Perhaps if you go through the setup or remote access this will sort it out.

No, router settings are the same (STATIC IP)

Also have you had any new additions to your network?

NO, No new additions of any kind..........

Back to the router have you tried powering it off for 10 seconds and powering it back on.

YES, Power down for 30 Seconds and reboot.......

If this is the cure you might consider looking up your router to see if there are any firmware upgrades that might fix the problem or running out of network connections or handling UPNP.

No, No cure, same problem persists........

Also I am having trouble getting Outlook to sync with my @live.com mail account it takes forever to do and has errors such as, calendar not connecting or even outlook asking me to put in my user name and password.........(this is seperate from the home server but still linked to windows live so that is why I was thinking it was a microsoft or windows live issue)

--

Also I decided to release my domain name and reconfigure, well now when i put in my e-mail address and password and click next i get an error saying that "There was an error when communicating with the windows live services, PLease try again later"
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:20 PM
  • It says remote access is available, But "verifying your internet connection to windows live" failed I DO HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION because I can visit plenty other websites with no problem, although all microsoft and windows live sites like this one seem to be very slow. Also "Verifying port forewarding on your router failed" This too is coming up............Just wanting to know if anyone else has noticed these problems as I cant seem to find any other recent references to this anywhere here, This happens alot to me but it seems to resolve itself in a day or do and is normally on microsofts end but this has been goping on for days now and I was beginning to wonder if its something else. NO I HAVENT MADE ANY SYSTEM OR ROUTER CHANGES BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER this happened......Any help would be appreciated Thank you
    I just checked my Remote Access connection by clicking on the Refresh button in the Console and everything came back normal.  Are you checking other websites from your server desktop or a client?  Maybe the NIC in your server is having issues.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:14 PM
    I just checked my Remote Access connection by clicking on the Refresh button in the Console and everything came back normal.  Are you checking other websites from your server desktop or a client?  Maybe the NIC in your server is having issues.

Ensure that Windows Live Custom Domains service is available. How do I do this?

Yes, Other websites come up just fine on the server desktop.

When I click the refresh button in the console sometimes the first one (verifying your internet connection to windows live) passes but most of the time (lately) it does not.

Other times, when the first one passes, the second one which i cant remember right now what exactly it is cuz it wont make it that far comes up but always fails (has something to do with "updating windows live custom domains")

I dont know what this means but its really getting annoying.......The NIC on the server seems fine as i can connect remotely and view websites from the WHS desktop such as ........ microsoft.com, google.com, yahoo.com.....

Also when trying to get my domin name configured because I released it when I put my @live.com Id in and my password and click next I get "There was an error when communicating with the windows live services, PLease try again later" Now im also getting "Windows live ID server is unavailabel please try again later 80048869"

Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I cant help it Ive tryed everything, downgrading the firmware in my router, rebooting my router, rebooting my server, disabling router firewall, software firewall on server (its compatible with WHS dont worry) and out of all this nothing has helped the server in being able to resolve the domain name with windows live..........

Further more I have been having issues with my windows live e-mail account (the same account and password i use to setup the domain name in WHS) it is VERY slow at coming up plus all web pages I visit aside from all that have anything to do with microsoft seem slow and unresponsive all others are great! ie intel.com, facebook.com, youtube.com ect......

I cant help but feel this is not my issue but an issue with microsoft or windows live or something and I cant believe no one else is reporting problems with this

Outlook connector is also showing numorous errors in reguards to my @live.com e-mail account but not constantly the issues seem intermittant.....

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Jay:

The Windows Live authentication server has been very slow since yesterday; I've noticed this also. Just checked a few minutes ago and it seems back to normal.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:52 PM
  • NO normal for me even this forum web page comes up very slow if at all i have to keep clicking the link in my favorites to get here, something fishy is going on with windows live custom domains and the above mentioned windows live authentication server I think heck I cant even get to microsoft.com right now but i can go to yahoo.com at the same moment........HUH

Ensure that Windows Live Custom Domains service is available. How do I do this? Just incase I want to check to see if the servers are working then I'll know the problem is with my equipment

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Try services.msc
    Monday, March 22, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Well whatever the problem was went away on its own today while I was at work so I'll just assume it was on microsofts end again and I'll mark this thread as solved, seeing how I didnt do anything and the problem magically fixed itself......LOL
    • Marked as answer by Jay12482001 Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Jay

If it any consolation to you I have had all of your issues except for the outlook. I put a search in for port forwarding and several people have had the same issues dating back to Feb 2008. I have not read any clear solutions, everyone seems to put up with it until it clears itself or just keeps resetting their router. How does HP feel about all of this or are they just pawning it own to microsoft

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:28 AM
  • The Live service had been down or slow for some people so my guess is an internet routing/traffic issue.  The internet will forever have these issues from time to time.  Port forwarded is a complex procedure that covers a wide range of routers some of which deal with it better than others.

Adrain, do you still have a problem?  If you want to raise a new question maybe we can help you out.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:53 AM
  • So far everytime this has happened to me (its been maybe 5 times now in a 1 year period) that I have alwayse tryed to troubleshoot it myself thinking it was my equipment somehow causing the problem. But 100% of the time it has resolved itself either on behalf of windows live custom domains, microsoft, or the above mentioned "internet routing/traffic issue" Either way if you are expierencing WHS messages pertaining to port forewarding failied or updating windows live custom domains failed then my sugestion (from expierence) would be to wait at the most a week and see if the problem dosent correct itself before digging into and making changes to your home equipment because well from expierence again I was causing myself more problems by trying to fix something I couldent and in turn causing problems for myself by adjusting settings that were correct.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:40 PM