A question about OneCare Updates RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just recently moved to OneCare almost two days ago. I must say it is a pretty good product! especailly compared to norton and others I feel you get more for your money and it doesn't hog resources like other software of its kind. good job there!

I have noticed that I have not received an Update for my virus/spyware definitions for almost two days. My status is green and OneCare reports everything is good to go. Is this normal behavior?

The current version of my Definitions is 1.47.167.0

This is on both my notebook and my lap top running Vista Ultimate Sp1 on my desktop and Vista Business SP1 on my notebook.

According to the MMPC:

the Current Versions of Windows Defender on MMPC is: 1.47.226.0 (please note where i work we run Windows Defender and the newest definition on Microsoft Update downloaded for Windows Defender this morning was 1.47.167.0 )

Microsoft ForeFront Client Security is posting version 1.47.226.0

My question is:

1. Does Windows Live Onecare follow the same updating strategy as Windows Defender IE: you get new definitions about once every 3-5 days?

I know the latest definitions for Windows Live OneCare can be manually downloaded from here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/958067/en-us

2. Is it normal for OneCare to "not" update itself every day and maybe go a few days without an update? I always check the Help: About to see the version numbers.

just curious to how to program works that is all, if this update cycle seems to be the norm that is fine too, I just want to make sure my program is working correctly. what is the latest version OneCare's Auto Update is pushing? is 1.47.167.0 the most recent?

thanks for your time, and keep up the good work on a great product.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:31 AM

Answers

• The updates for OneCare are not always in absolute sync with what you see available for Forefront, but they are pretty close.

Updates can come more than once in a single day and days can elapse between updates. If your status is green and you are seeing update checks completing without errors, then all is well.

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:46 PM

All replies

• The updates for OneCare are not always in absolute sync with what you see available for Forefront, but they are pretty close.

Updates can come more than once in a single day and days can elapse between updates. If your status is green and you are seeing update checks completing without errors, then all is well.

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:46 PM
  •  

thanks Stephen. Excellent Answer

I came home today to find Onecare updated to 1.47.206.0 so all seems to be well. thanks again

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:34 AM
  • You're very welcome. Take care,

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:42 PM