full VS incremental RRS feed

• Question

• When, if ever, will OneCare provide the more standard data processing concept of full and incremental backups. In corporate data centers you do a full backup weekly and incremental backups in between. Then you provide a rotation of the full backups depending on when they were created, weekly gets saved for a week, month end gets saved for a year and year end get saved for at least 7 years.

The process where I do incrementals forever just seems like a waste of disk space and it requrires administration where automation should be the rule.

Thanks

Sam

Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:02 PM

Answers

• The backup functionality in OneCare is not similar to a dedicated backup program that allows for rotation of backups. The solution in OneCare, when it was originally released, was to only allow backups to CD/DVD. And, OneCare would schedule a new, full backup within 1 year. However, people requested additional destinations, such as external drives and network Shares. So, what we now see is incremental backups going on for quite some time, to the point of filling up the destination drive. Management of the destination is also rather difficult, unfortunately.

Furthermore, I don't know if OneCare ever starts a new full backup any longer or just does incrementals indefinitely...

Leigh, for the situation you've encountered, I suggest the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

turn off backup for each PC and then turn off Centralized backup.

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Reconfigure Centralized backup and any exceptions for the individual PCs

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

This will start backup from scratch for all PCs in the Circle.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:10 PM

All replies

• This crazy thing is that there are help docs out there that talk about a full backup option -- but I can't find that option anyplace. I had a crash of my central backup device, and replaced it. Now I need to tell each of the computers in my circle to do a full backup, because files they think have already been backed up don't exist anymore. Do I have to uninstall WLOC or something? How do I force a full backup?

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:01 AM
  • The backup functionality in OneCare is not similar to a dedicated backup program that allows for rotation of backups. The solution in OneCare, when it was originally released, was to only allow backups to CD/DVD. And, OneCare would schedule a new, full backup within 1 year. However, people requested additional destinations, such as external drives and network Shares. So, what we now see is incremental backups going on for quite some time, to the point of filling up the destination drive. Management of the destination is also rather difficult, unfortunately.

Furthermore, I don't know if OneCare ever starts a new full backup any longer or just does incrementals indefinitely...

Leigh, for the situation you've encountered, I suggest the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

turn off backup for each PC and then turn off Centralized backup.

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Reconfigure Centralized backup and any exceptions for the individual PCs

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

This will start backup from scratch for all PCs in the Circle.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:10 PM