none
Collapse/Expand all threads button vanished RRS feed

• Question

• When I went into forums there used to be a button to collapse all sections so you could then easily find the one you want without having to scroll through hundreds of lines.

That feature is no longer there - all sections are expanded by default with no means to collapse them.  What's happened ?  (I'm using IE9 on Win 7 pro).

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Friday, July 22, 2011 11:11 AM off topic for TechNet Feedback (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:06 AM

Answers

• I think I know what the problem is, this is a locale bug where even though the client locale and url is 'en-gb' we show the en-us content but the url is limiting the new design from showing up, we'll try to fix this. All flavors of 'en' locales should be seeing the new home page design. Thanks for reporting this.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Brent SerbusEditor Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by anirac15 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:13 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I believe the forum site has been redesigned, but moving to the forums feedback forum for specifics.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Friday, July 22, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Expand/Collapse as been removed from the home page as the msdn/technet home pages have been redesigned. It was at the same time removed from the non en-us home pages because those pages typically don't have enough content on them to justify the novelty of expanding and collapsing. What page(s) are you expecting to see this on that would actually be helpful?  
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:09 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm talking about the first page you get when clicking on the Forums button on the Technet home-page (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-gb/categories/). I don't see any difference in design from what I've seen over the last few months, just more categories added. What I see is as follows: BizTalk Server - 5 sub-forums listed Exchange server - 17 sub-forums listed Exchange Server 2010 - 2 sub-forums Feedback & Discussions - 3 sub-forums Forefront Products 7 technologies - 26 sub-forums Identity Management - 2 sub-forums IT Management - 1 sub-forum Learning - 4 sub-forums Live Meeting - 5 sub-forums Microsoft Application Virtualization - 7 sub-forums Sharepoint 2010 4 sub-forums Microsoft Enterprise Search - 8 sub-forums Microsoft Groove Server - 1 sub-forum Microsoft Office for IT Pros - 11 sub-forums Microsoft Office 2010 Beta (Archive) - 10 sub-forums Microsoft Online Services - 11 sub-forums Microsoft Pro-Clarity - 1 sub-forum Lync Server - 15 sub-forums Office Performance Point Server - 3 sub-forums Office 2007 Deployment Forum group - 2 sub-forums Performance - 2 sub-forums Project Professional - 1-sub-forum Project Server - 3 sub-forums Sandbox - 2 sub-forums Scripting - 2 sub-forums Security - 3-sub-forums Sharepoint Products & Technologies - 16 sub-forums Solution Accelerators - 4 sub-forums SQL Server - 35 sub-forums SQL Server (Pre-Release) - 13 sub-forums Surface - 3 sub-forums System Center Configuration Manager - 17 sub-forums System Center Cross Platform & operability - 6 sub-forums System Center Data Protection Manager - 14 sub-forums System Center Essentials - 9 sub-forums System center Mobile device Manager - 1 sub-forum System Center Operations Manager - 8 sub-forums System Center Online Services - 2 sub-forums System Center Service Manager - 9 sub-forums System Center Virtual Machine Manager - 8 sub-forums UC Community Relations - 9 sub-forums Using Forums - 6 sub-forums Virtual Server - 1 sub-forum Visio 2010 - 1 sub-forum Windows Azure Platform - 7 sub-forums Windows Embedded - 1 sub-forum Windows Server - 32 sub-forums Windoes Tools - 3 sub-forums Windows XP IT Pro - 1 sub-forum Windows Vista IT Pro - 13 sub-forums Windows 7 IT Pro - 12 sub forums Thus there are 382 sections listed on the screen. I wanted to get to the Windows 7 forum which meant scrolling through 370 sections to get there, as it was the last one in the list. When the ability to collapse was available you just had to scroll through the 50 major categories (which is bad enough in itself) without having to scroll through 370. I don't see the necessity of having them expanded by default. Initially you want to look for the major category, then look within it for the particular sub-category. I'm never going to be interested in Exchange Server or System Center so don't need to see all the sub-categories every time I go to the forums page. I don't understand why you call the ability to collapse & expand a 'novelty'; I would consider it essential for efficient use of the system

Don't know why this has formatted as it has; I typed it all on separate lines.  Hope you can make it out.

• Edited by anirac15 Monday, July 25, 2011 8:32 AM Strange formatting on submit
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Are you saying that when you view http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/categories/ you don't see a new design with a "find your forum" box/feature?  The design goals and ux are here? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/addeditdelete/archive/2011/06/22/new-msdn-and-technet-forums-home-page.aspx  Do you not see this new design or are you saying the ux isn't helpful?
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:24 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not seeing that design at all on the link I'm using from Technet UK site.  Clicking on your link above (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/categories/) I now see the new design, but if you look carefully at the link I posted in my previous post ((http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-gb/categories/) you will see a subtle difference; en-gb as opposed to en-us.  I am in the UK and therefore access the UK versions of the Microsoft sites.  Funny thing is although the link says en-gb, in the top right hand corner of the screen it says United States (English).  I have a screen shot if you want it but I don't know how to attach it to posts.  Could it be it's just the UK versions of the forums site that's not operating correctly?  As I reported before, I am using IE9 on Win7 Pro 64-bit, but I just went and tried it on another PC at our company which is running IE8 on Win XP 32-bit, in case it was an IE9 problem, but that PC gave me the same results as I previously reported.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:46 AM
  • I think I know what the problem is, this is a locale bug where even though the client locale and url is 'en-gb' we show the en-us content but the url is limiting the new design from showing up, we'll try to fix this. All flavors of 'en' locales should be seeing the new home page design. Thanks for reporting this.
    • Proposed as answer by Brent SerbusEditor Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by anirac15 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:13 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm glad there's a logical explanation.  Thank you for your assistance, and I look forward to seeing the new design in the near future.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:23 AM