Using the HP 470 to run Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried blowing whs off an HP MSS and installing server 2003 or 2008?

Thanks
    Dick Day
    Friday, January 2, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

• Thank you both for your replies.  I will take that as a definite no :)

Ken, actually, it has a lot to do with Windows Home Server.  If even just the basic whs functions worked reliably, I would not see the need to abandon whs and try to salvage my investment in the HP.

Whs is full of bugs. Looking at this, and other forums, the number of problems are increasing. I had hoped that once PP1 was released, the number of issues would decrease.  I think whs is un-supportable and should be with-drawn from the market.  It will go down in history as another ME or Vista.  It was released too soon with out enough testing.  The concept was neat, but not ready. Once again, Microsoft is using their customers as the testing ground.

By this evening, my HP 470 will be boxed up and ready to drop off at our local high school so they can salvage parts from it.

Good luck to all.

Dick Day
    • Marked as answer by DickDay Friday, January 2, 2009 7:11 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I can ensure you, that it is not very funny to install Windows Server on a headless device, especially if there are no supported and documented channels to access the console without video adapter. For Windows Server 2003 you can usually use a serial cable and connect to another machine via terminal, but this is not possible for the mentioned box.

Even if you would get the installation through somehow, there is still the question, how you gain the control over the LEDs, sensors and so on. I am  not sure, if you could install these HP tools on another OS.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, January 2, 2009 5:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DickDay Friday, January 2, 2009 7:11 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I have no doubt it's possible. You will need to build a special cable for connecting to the video, keyboard, and mouse headers on the motherboard. For the KVM connections, this blog post might be helpful. Note that you will have to completely disassemble your server to connect a cable to this MB header, which HP will not look kindly on should you need warranty service.

You will also need to connect a (bootable) CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to your server.

None of this is supported by Microsoft or HP, and frankly it doesn't have much to do with Windows Home Server, though, so it's not particularly on topic for this forum (which is about helping people who have issues with or questions about WHS).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, January 2, 2009 5:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DickDay Friday, January 2, 2009 7:11 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Thank you both for your replies.  I will take that as a definite no :)

Ken, actually, it has a lot to do with Windows Home Server.  If even just the basic whs functions worked reliably, I would not see the need to abandon whs and try to salvage my investment in the HP.

Whs is full of bugs. Looking at this, and other forums, the number of problems are increasing. I had hoped that once PP1 was released, the number of issues would decrease.  I think whs is un-supportable and should be with-drawn from the market.  It will go down in history as another ME or Vista.  It was released too soon with out enough testing.  The concept was neat, but not ready. Once again, Microsoft is using their customers as the testing ground.

By this evening, my HP 470 will be boxed up and ready to drop off at our local high school so they can salvage parts from it.

Good luck to all.

Dick Day
    • Marked as answer by DickDay Friday, January 2, 2009 7:11 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:00 PM
  • There is no software that does not have a few bugs, but I don't think you're treating WHS fairly. WHS has worked as advertised on my system (Dell 420 server) and the only problems I've had were my own fault. PP1 was the savior. It added the few things that were really needed to make it a viable piece (corruption bug fix was the biggest).

If you want to send your server my direction, I'll be more than willing to pay for shipping.

Cruise  
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:31 AM